Adding a UBEC

Having just seen one of my ESC's go up in smoke when undertaking a pre-flight test I looked in my parts bin and found a spare 60A ESC with integrated BEC.

The model has two micro servos for ailerons, two for flaps and one each for rudder and elevator. It also has a pair of electric retracts.

I've been told that this is all probably a bit much for the BEC so am considreing powering the Rx by way of a UBEC (8amp or similar) off the main battery.

What do I do with the wires to the Rx?

1. Do I disable the red wire on the ESC to Rx connection and Y lead in the UBEC? Or

2. Ignore the Rx lead from the ESC altogether and just plug the UBEC into the Rx? Or

3. None of the above?

Of course I could use a ESC without a BEC and wire in a UBEC but don't have one ready to hand.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Advert

Hi Tony

Yes disable the red wire on the lead from the ESC to Rx. This still needs to be plugged into the throttle channel.

The UBEC black and red need connecting so that they get the full voltage of the battery, I usually solder these to the red and black of the ESC part way along and cover the joint with heatshrink.

Then the Servo type lead from the UBEC, carrying the 5 or 6 volts has to be plugged into any spare channel of the Rx to provide power.