First Light

Like many on here I suspect I have loads of "aeroplane books", so the question was - where to start?

I've picked this book by Geoffrey Wellum first because I think it is one of the most intense and personal of the type I've ever read. Wellum is totally honest about his experience, the positive and the negative, and the book is all the better for it.

It begins with him being completely thrilled at being selected for pilot trianing in the RAF just before the outbreak of the second world war. We follow him through elementary training, then advanced training on the Harvard and eventually operational conversion on the Spitfire - with lots of fasinating technical flying data about Spitfires.

All though this training period you are very aware of how stressful it must have been for the young trainees - with the threat and shame of failure and being "awarded a bowler hat" always hanging over them.

But where the book really comes alive of course is when he joins an operational squadron just before the start of the Battle of Britian. His whole experience here is wonderfully captured. From the fear of the first operational flights, to the periods of boredom. The sheer exhaustion of flying 5-6 sorties a day, day-in, day-out is so obvious. But what is really clever is the very gradual "breakdown" in his personally portraited so well in the book. The way in which his perspective changes. He bocomes battle weary, uncaring, reckless. He knows deep down "there is something wrong" but the pressure to carry on is simply immense. Then one day - right out of the blue - when he least expects it - he is "stood down". His reactions at this moment are devastatingly emotional.

I was deeply moved by this book. Wellum was a famous fighter pilot and it would have been easy for him to write a biography all about what a hero he was (and let's face it he was!). But he didn't do that. Instead he tells us about the fear he felt and the terrible effect being exposed to constant danger in a "kill or be killed" situation day after day can have on even the strongest. And in a way by being so obviously human he is, in my eyes, an even greater hero.

If you have any interest in what it must have really been like, warts and all, to be an operational WWII fighter pilot then I can warmly recommend this book.

BEB

Advert

Agreed - I bought two copies - one to replace the one I lent to a 'friend' who liked it so much he didn't give it back. Second time round I got the hard back second hand and in excellent conditon.

Brilliant book - I've read most of the autobiographies coming out of WW11 so trust me! makes you feel you were there with him!

A really good read

Terry