Brushless motor & ESC connectors

Redstorm

Hi All

I just bought a Turnigy motor and a H-King 60A ESC from HK.

Now it appears the motor comes with 3.5mm male gold bullet connectors fitted but the ESC does not.

Does anyone know where i can buy these, ideally as a set?

Or do you just buy a handful of female connectors and some heatshrink and DIY?

Also will a domestic hairdryer produce enough heat for heatshrink or will i need the special hot air gun?

Thanks

Edited By Redstorm on 29/04/2012 07:32:13

Advert

Most shops, whether High Street or mail order, will stock the connectors that you need - best prices tend to be on E-Bay. One word of caution - I have found that sometimes one can find that the male and female connectors from different suppliers won't actual match - the male being too big (or the female too small depending how you look at it.) with a resultant need to use a lot of force to get them to mate - if indeed they will. Oddly enough Ihave never had the same problem with 2mm or 4mm connectors. It therefore is a good idea to buy the male and female connectors at the same tome from the same source.

I suppose it depends on the make of heat-shrink, but I have never found any for use with cables that can be shrunk with a hair dryer. What I do is use the soldering iron body (not the actual bit) which works fine for me.

HTH

Mike

I suppose it depends on the make of heat-shrink, but I have never found any for use with cables that can be shrunk with a hair dryer. What I do is use the soldering iron body (not the actual bit) which works fine for me.

You can get loads of connectors for next to nothing from Hobby King and heat shrink is virtually free as well. You may even get them in the same postage rate when buying with other things.

I bought some heat shrink this week and got it from an eBay seller for much less than what it would have been from the high profile online electric flight retailer that I've always dealt with. I also made a worthwhile saving when buying servo locks.

I've been flying electrics for a long time and I've easily shrunk every piece of heat shrink with a travel hair dryer. There isn't a lot of shrinkage at first but it soon tightens up very nicely. I've found that there seems to be a hotter part of the flow. I have the work right up to the dryer and once the shrinking has started, I'll hold the work inside the nozzle to finish off.

Thanks all. Yes I wish I had ordered the opposite connectors from HK when I bought the motor and ESC but sadly didnt think to check if the ESC had the connectors attached until after my order had been shipped.

Seems there are plenty on eBay for not too much. will order some this week with some heatshrink.

Just got to wait for my HK order to arrive from Hong Kong now *groan* - I built up my new Mentor kit this weekend. All it needs is the motor, prop and ESC en route from HK. Its so frustrating!!!

I'll be posting pics shortly.

See you soon

Edited By Redstorm on 29/04/2012 17:48:21