Chorus Gull

I am building a chorus gull from RCME plan by Brian Peckham Feb 02 I have aqurery with the wing washout the plan asks for the rear spar to be built on a 3/8 packing strip from ROOT TO TIP to give correct washout does this mean 3/8 for the full length or 3/8 tapering from root to tip I will be pleased for any help my email [email protected]

Advert

I am suprised that Timbo has not answered this one.

I do not know this plan. But it is normal to go from 3/8" at the tip to 0" at the root. As a a geometric shape you could call the packing peice a wedge or triangular shape. Both panels to be built identicly to each other as reflective images 

The genral idea is to build into the wing a warp, the purpose of which is to ensure that as the wing reaches a stalled condition, the roots will stall first (simultaneously) and the wing tips to keep on generating lift. This results in a benign stall or mush. Whereas if the tips or tip stalls, the result is usually a spiral dive until airspeed is regained, or the ground struck. Far better to have a lower efficiency wing away from the stall, than constant care during landing.

I understand that aerobatic models have no wash out, as it is desirable to be able to stall the wing at will, and have the same flying characteristics when inverted.

Erfolg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Hi all i am still wrestling with this plan i am a slow builder lol,lol, no i have been building other things in between any way has anybody resolved this problem yet ?weather its 3/8inch packing from root to tip or just at the tip?again was there a missprint?some of the wing ribs are not the same dimentions as printed on the wing plan as opposed to the profile for the rib template so i am still open to any sugestions looking forward to hearing from anybody who has built this model to throw some light on it,doug