Who will buy my plywood?

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 04/06/2012 21:30:48:

Sorry to put a downer on your project, but when I want plywood I just raid a builders skip. All thicknesses and qualities are there, in handy sized pieces. I do ask permission if any one is looking.

Don't want to put a downer on this, but skip surfing without the owners consent is illegal. With the value of scrap rising quite rapidly in recent years you may find yourself on the wrong end of a conviction and criminal record.. (and possibly a bruising if a big lumbering builder catches you).

It is far better, safer and ultimately honest to simply ask..

Martyn

Advert

Posted by enrique iglesias on 05/07/2012 11:49:34:

Hello Kevin, Tom and the others builders....

Would you like to try my plywood?.

Of course the shipping and cost is free.

I would like to hear your opinions.

I think you will like this material

Thanks

Hello Enrique

I will happily test it for you, I will make matching components using your ply, liteply and modelshop birch ply and then weigh and stress test them for you.

If you are happy with this, I'll PM you with my address.

Regards

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

Samples received last week. Enrique sent me 2 small samples, one each of 1.5mm and 2mm in an A5 envelope.

Many thanks.

My first impression was that this was very nicely finished, a beautiful silky feel to it, like freshly sanded balsa.

The ply is 3 veneer with the grain in the outer veneers running in the same direction. A close examination of Liteply showed much greater variation in grain direction although nominally it was the same direction.

I decided to carry out a comparative test with Liteply that I had purchased from my local model shop.

The Liteply that I used was nominally 2mm thick and measured with an imperial micrometer at 0.085" (2.159mm) at one end and 0.083" at the other (600mm sheet)

The 2mm Okume ply was measured at 0.082" (2.083mm)

The 1.5mm Okume ply was measured at 0.072" (1.828mm) - a little thicker than expected.

The only really constructive tests that I could perform were deflection tests.

4 test pieces were cut - each 112mm x 10mm.It was noticeable that the Okume ply is much harder to cut than the Liteply.

Sample 1 - 2mm Liteply, thickness 0.085", weight 0.99g grain lengthwise
Sample 2 - 1.5mm Okume, thickness 0.072", weight 1.04g grain lengthwise
Sample 3 - 2mm Okume, thickness 0.082", weight 1.33g grain crosswise
Sample 4 - 2mm Liteply, thickness 0.083", weight 1.20g grain crosswise.

Unfortunately, there was insufficient 2mm ply supplied to cut a 112mm piece with the grain lengthwise.

(I was amazed at the variation in weight of the Liteply, I had to measure and weigh it several times to make sure I hadn't made an error).

The 4 pieces were then pinned and glued to a block of wood and deflection tests performed.

p7160002.jpg

The nominal height of each piece was measured then the height (or deflection) measured when each piece was placed under strain using a laboratory 50g weight.

p7160003.jpg

and

p7160004.jpg

The results were as follows:

Sample 1 - 2mm Liteply grain lengthwise - 6mm deflection
Sample 2 - 1.5mm Okume grain lengthwise - 10mm deflection
Sample 3 - 2mm Okume grain crosswise - 25mm deflection
Sample 4 - 2mm Liteply grain crosswise - 37mm deflection

Clearly, the Okume ply is heavier than liteply but would make a very good alternative to liteply and normal birch ply for many applications, such as bearing surfaces, end ribs for a 2 piece wing etc.

It would be really interesting if a ply (like Okume) could be made with the grain of each veneer at 120 degrees to each other.I would imagine that this would be very stiff in all directions with very little loss of strength.

If this materialises in the UK at my local model shop,I will certainly buy it and use it.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 16/07/2012 22:18:04

Tis is an interesting test you made here Martyn. It is a pitty you couldn't test the 1.5 against 1.5 and the 2.0 against 2.0. I am sure 2mm Okume would have shown less deflection.

The lightply I saw at the shops (for instance at Al's) is poplar on the outside - I suppose also inside, but with lower quality. I cannot guarantee it, but it has exactly the same "feeling" and cutting behavior as the poplar ply I used in the past in Italy (as it is there the cheapest ply you get in DIY shops and with very good quality and as I am there on holiday this year I will get myself a good helping to come over the next years...)

Don't know if the quantities used by the UK kit building gurus is enough to establish a business.

VA - ply wood department...

• 3 years later...

Hi yall, Re liteply I don't think the centre of lite ply is wood as we know it at all. May even be synthetic. The wood Enrique is offering seems to be Gabon ply. I would love a couple of samples to try out.If you would send me some Enrique please P.M. me and i will send address. I make boats and planes so can speak with a foot in both campsI had some Gabon /Gaboon ply years ago from some old furniture that was being broken up. It was lovely stuff. I would love to see if Enrique's stuff is the same. as I had then . Cheers John

Hi Enrique.

Steve H is right. You need to talk to the people who will buy enough to make the transportation costs viable.

People will not buy when the shipping is more than the material cost.

I would suggest sending (small) samples to the kit manufacturers and also the people who offer laser cutting services. They will also need to know the type of adhesives you use as well.

kevin b

Edited By kevin b on 26/06/2016 23:06:58

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 09/05/2012 11:08:02:

Welcome to the forum Enrique....always nice to see non UK members...thumbs up

I didn't know what Okume Plywood was but a quick Google tells me its very high grade plywood often used in boat & aircraft manufacture......

So is anyone interested...? I would say yes definitely but it depends on the price etc.....I doubt you'd be interested in shipping one square foot of 2mm plywood to me for my latest project so maybe you need a UK distributor.

Perhaps the way forward is to approach some of the UK based kit manufacturers....DB Sport & Scale, PB Models, Chris Foss Designs maybe, Avicraft, SLEC perhaps. My own LMS runs BalsaMart & is a highly respected supplier of Balsa wood.....You might like to contact RCM&E magazine & arrange to send some samples over for review.....RCM&E have several columnists who build traditional models.....they could "test" your plywood....

I believe there are some people who (whisper it) build model boats as a hobby..wink 2...I would guess this may be a good outlet for your plywood too......

Good luck with your venture....maybe your efforts can save Spain from the ravages of the Euro....wink 2

Some options in my post above Enrique but this is over 4 years ago so things may well have changed....

Enrique's samples arrived today. Lighter then Birch ply but not quite as light as liteply Very like the Gabon / Gaboon ply I had years ago but slightly lighter colour. It sands well and is fairly flexible although not tried it soaked in Ammonia yet to see how flexible it can become. The pieces he sent are useful sizes . Re buying ply in U.K. I got some from a lady craft supplier but can't find the receipt to re orderangry However it will be Enrique's ply from now on if he is still willing to supply individuals like me Postage could be the killer although the 4 bits he sent fitted in a 9x6 envelope for the biggest piece. The others were somewhat smaller but all useful sizes. Cost was £ 1.40. so not too bad Thanks again Enrique

John

I wish Enrique every success with his project, but whilst investigations continue those of you seeking supplies of good quality Birch or Hardwood ply in 0.8 or 1.5 mm thicknesses might like to take a look at www.bagpress.com, a company owned by my son Darren. I make no apologies for the plug as the website has information on ply, flexiply, veneers, adhesives, vacuum lamination and associated equipment and techniques, and will supply small quantities if desired. I hope this is useful to you,

Ken

Posted by enrique iglesias on 30/06/2016 15:19:04:

Hi Onetetor

ammonia??

you can bend the plywood with water or boiling water
My plywood, glue, resists 3 days immersed in water

the cost was 1.40 euro, for a 9x6 envelope.. Its possible to send by normal post 2kg max.

Agreed Enrique, but ammonia is faster He He ! How will I pay you By Cheque ? If so can you PM me your address as the writing on the envelope is smudged and I can't read it all. That is pretty good water resistance for the glue. However ?I would reccomend a good coat of resin or paint etc for boat users to keep water out. Cheers John

Well that is very kind of you Enrique and most welcome.I am very grateful. Thanks very much. I agree about the water immersion legislation.Very useful to know Have you been on any other forae like Model Boat Mayhem RC world RCmodel world Aeromodeller and so on If you Google modelling magazines you will find lots of them to register to and make your offer on.

here is a selection to start with https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome- instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=radio%20control%20magazines%20uk

Just googled radio control magazines . You cand do the same for modelling magazines. Craft mags and even woodworking magazines. and toy making magazines

Good luck John

Enrique, some of the UK modelling companies you may wish to contact are:

DB Sport and Scale....laser cutting

SLEC....laser cutting

Balsa Cabin

Mick Reeves

Balsa Mart

Falcon Aviation...laser Cutting

BelAir Kit Cutting...laser cutting

and maybe Ripmax or J Perkins

CB