Graupner Amigo electric

tony beacher

Can anyone help. I have an old Graupner Amigo 11 glider. I used to fly it with a power pod and a cox 049 . I want to convert this to a brushless motor esc and lipo but I haven't got a clue where to start. can anyone help please. I now live in Greece where rc modelling is non exsistant so i cannot ask any other modellers.

Regards Tony

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony....the main thing to watch here is the prop size.....you need one big enough to get enough thrust from the motor but small enough to fit between the motor & the top of the glider.

Given that you have a Cox 049 in mind then a 6" prop would sound like the right size......I have this motor on a 6x4 prop & it makes 120watts off a 3S battery which should power a 6ft glider up to height very nicely....an 18A ESC like this will be enough. My battery is a 1000mAh unit but I reckon you could get away with aomething a bit smaller...maybe an 800mAh...maybe this.... that should give you about 4 minutes of flat out running for the motor. About the same as a tankful on a Cox 049....teeth 2

Just had another thought......how are you going to power the radio.....??

If you plan to use the BEC on the ESC (& I think you should) then you would need a reasonable capacity left in the battery after the motor run to allow for a nice long thermalling flight. Maybe a 1000mAh bettery is a better bet & limit the amount of full throttle running to 4 minutes max..... that should ensure that you have enough juice in the battery to power your radio for another 20-30 mins at least in case you catch a booming thermal & don't want to come down for a while.....thumbs up

Most ESCs feature a low voltage cut out but obviously this only works when the battery is almost exhausted.....you don't want to get to a great height & then have to abandon the flight because you risk running out of battery power for the radio/servos.....thinking

Hi, first post here, so hello all!

I have just completed an Amigo II model that was part built my me some 30 years ago!

I found this company... http://www.motorsandrotors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=790 selling the correct power pod and they suggested an 8" prop

Here is my Amigo almost ready to go

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb422/BIGFOG99/9beeadcb.jpg

Edited By Guy Pendred on 23/05/2012 08:18:24