Thunder Tiger Concept X

Ruston

Hi all

I recently picked up a Thunder Tiger Concept X 75mm ducted fan kit from Al's Hobbies who were selling them for £85 at Blackbushe Model Airshow. http://thundertiger-europe.com/4369_concept_x.html

Being a relatively new model there is little information around so I thought I would share my experiences.

The kit went together quickly and easily using ordinary thin CA to glue the majority of components and 30minute epoxy on the wings. In retrospect, UHU POR may have been a better option for all joints as the CA can be rather brittle if the plane suffers a heavy landing.

I used HS65MG servos for the elerons, I chose to omit the rudder which is an option. The HS65s fit well in the servo opening but are a little too wide meaning that the supplied servo covers don't fit without a bit of modification.

The kit is supplied with Thunder Tiger's own 75mm fan, motor and speed controller. I put these on the Watt meter using an Overlander 2200 3s and got a whopping 580 Watts at 55 Amps! This was over limits for both the motor and speed controller so I dropped the esc timing to low which still resulted in 420 Watts and at 40 Amps, which should be ample for a 620g (22oz) model.

With control throws and C of G set as per the manual, I went for a maiden. The first three attempts ended with the model not getting away, instead diving hard for the ground. After a bit of remedial surgery, I moved the C of G back by about 3mm, dialed in a bit of aileron trim to counteract a tendency to roll right and programmed in about 3mm of up elevator that I could switch out once up to speed. The fourth attempt saw her away and after a bit more trimming, flying very nicely.

With all that power on tap, the model is extremely quick and great fun. It flys very nicely and will slow up very well for a nice glide to belly land. Roll and pitch are nice and controllable on low rates, a little more lively on high rates but by no means excessive. I can safely get 4 minutes flights from a 2200 3s using high throttle most of the time. It will cruise around at 1/4 throttle for ages if so inclined but that is not really the point of a model like this! Without rudders, the aerobatic options are limited, I plan on fitting rudder servos next and give that a try.

Edited By Ruston on 31/05/2012 08:29:33

Advert

Hello, I just received the same plane yesrerday, bought from hobbydirekt in Germany. I am myself in Paris, France.

I spent the full day today building the kit. I went directly to the 4s setup with a turnigy 60A plush esc.

i am surprised with your test as I found no more than 39 A with a 3S 2200 test and around 50 with a 4s 1800. Which correspond to the factory datas for the stock edf. Strange you get so that A level.

Not good to read your first launch atttemps were not sucessful. Was the plane launch by a friend or by yputself ? And level to the ground?

I don t know yet. I spent hours building it and it was too late today for the maiden. It will be faster than 3s for sur but not sure qbout the diiference yet. Do you know which speed it is going on 3s?

i have a question, I did not understood what is the usage of the plywood pieces the manual instruct you to gle below the canopy ? If you but them in place then how do youthen fit the canopy on the plane ? Wi don t understand how the canopy is supposed to be set appart from the 2 magnets?

It's quick on 3s with the timing turned down on the esc so on 4s it'll be ballistic. Not sure how fast though.

I have always got a friend to hand launch as it is a bit twitchy until it gets some flying speed up. Launching high and level with a good push gives the best results. I use about 3mm of reflex on the elerons which I can switch out after about 2 to 3 seconds from launch.

I have now fitted the rudder servos which allow a few more manoeuvres and are worth the trouble.

I'll post a photo shortly to show how the wood parts under the hatch fit. I needed to add a spacer from a small piece of balsa to get it to fit correctly. It caused me a bit of confusion too!

Here's how the canopy retainer fits, you can see the balsa spacer that I have added. You can slide the front of the canopy in place first and then push down on the back of the canopy until the lug at the back pops into place. It all seems secure enough, I haven't had any problems with it coming loose in flight.

Ok thank you I see now how it works! I think the back of the canopy is too loose and needs some magnets. I will add 2, one in each side.

I also had to face difficulties to fit the top fuselage cover, especially the back part, located on top of the edf. It was too tight everywhere.

Still no maiden today! It was a bit too windy in the city. So I spent some time applying the provided decals. I don t like them very much but it was the easy route for decoration

Now more questions

So the rudder is usefull ?

How do you land it ? The instruction manual says to keep "half throttle or less" until 2 meters from the ground. This is strange no ? Half throttle seems very high ! Or this plane is very slow at half throttle?

Are you using the recommended settings from the manual ? what kind of Expo is needed ?

Thanks

You're welcome. When flying, the air should be pushing the back of the canopy closed but there's no harm in a couple of extra magnets for security.

I forgot about the top cover, mine needed easing over the fan too.

I flew mine yesterday in what must have been 20 mph wind, it was a little twitchy in the gusts and could be made to hover into the wind. I wouldn't recommend a maiden in that much wind though!

The rudders allow me to knife edge and neaten up the roll. Still to experiment with much else. I must have built in a slight twist in my vertical fins as mine had a tendency to drop its nose in right hand turns, the rudders have allowed me to trim that out. I used a couple of PowerHD 6.5g digital servos that I had spare, the rudders are small and only need a few mm of deflection so no need for anything bigger really.

Landing is really easy, ignore the manual, you certainly don't need half throttle, it'll never come down at that speed! I tend to cut the throttle in the final turn and just glide in. It glides really well and will slow right down without stalling.

Mine is all setup as per the manual. I have 20% expo on low rates and 30% on high which seems to work well.

Good luck for the maiden!

Edited By Ruston on 04/06/2012 07:38:44

Hi

I puchased a Concept X Thunder tiger about 5 weeks ago, Just thought i would post my views on the plane so far.

I have had about 8 no flights with the concept x so far, on the first two flights i found that on launch it wanted to go to ground and only managed to get it in the air after skimming the long grass in our field.

The settings & C &G were as per manual running with a 2.200 3s 30c Lipo.

The first two attempts i launched on just over half power throwing level & firm but not hard, On the third try i changed the setting on my DX6i to as follows.

Low settings Aile 80% Elev 85% Rudd 35% High settings Aile 90% Elev 100% Rudd 50%.

I launched on full power at a slight angle with 8 clicks of up elevator dialed in throwing fairly hard.

The concept x has been great to fly after making the above changes.

My friend has a fun jet and to compare and we think the concept x is faster.

Hope this info helps, Happy flying

Yes i now launch on 100% full throttle giving it a good throw, flight lasts about 4 to 41/2 mins with the 2.200 3s. Landing, i tried with 1/4 throttle but found it came in to hot, So now cut the power on approach and just glide it in. (lands pretty good like this.)

No have not tried the 4s setup as yet.

Hi. I did the maiden on sunday and it was no issue at all. A buddy launch it for me without any effort throwing it at launch. I am 4s. It was hand launchec with approx 75 percent throttle. It climbs immediately and can do easy unlimited vetical. It flyes fast but I was expecting a bit faster on 4s. I will use next time a gps for speed measurement. I tried it first with some 1800 4s lipos but the lipo was not strong enough and was not sustaining the Amps. It was going much better with a 4s 2200. The edf is not perfectly balanced and a bit noisy. But nothing really an issue. I will try to balance it. I did a measurement with that config and I found 65 Amps and 993 watts. More than what appear on the edf instruction manual. I don t know why.

I did another fly today which unfortunately concluded with a stall when landing... I was perfecly aligned and ready to land when at 1m from the ground I saw I was heading toward my own field mag left on the grass... I gently pulled on the elevator to get the plane climb a bit to avoid the bag but my speedvwas too low and the plane falled down the ground hitting its nose which has been broken.

It is now repared but the plane is not looking brand new any more after the 3rd fly... A shame...

Hello,

I did few more flights today and everything wet very well. I love this plane. After some fine tuning of the expo and dual rate I really like the handling now. I was flying 4s 2200 and it gives a good power. I tried to fit some 4s 3300 mah but impossible to get the right CG with these lipos, it stays to nose heavy. I tried With 4s 2800 and it works, the cg is good if you move the lipo as rear as possible. It flies better with heavier and more powerfull lipos. The extra weight gives the plane more inertie and i like that.

I think next i will look for a better motor. I will see if we can fit a HET while keeping the same EDF.

Ok I found the kv it is 3400. A 28mmx41mm / 3.17mm for 3 to 4S lipos. It is supposed to deliver 700w with 4s but I am almost 1000w with a 2200 4s. 2200 mah is not enough. 2800 is much better. I placed an order for some 3000 mah on hobby king. Up to 300g with a lipo, the balancing for the cg is very difficult. Impossible with some 3300 4s packs without adding some weight on the tail.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, i have ten flight with concept x, i've try it with 3s 2200 and 4s 2650 and it flight well. Recently i want more speed and try to install a eflite delta v32 and bl32 motor on 4s it gives 1,5 kg of thrust like the stock motor, a few more. On 6s it gives 1400w and 2,3 2,4 of thrust. Great result but i can't take off!! the plane stall on the hand launch! the eflite motor and edf weight is 152 g more than the stock, but i've set the 4s 2650 mah battery position forward and the cg seem to be ok but when take off the plane nose point to rigth and it stall crashing with the right wing! only one launch in 10 / 12 launch take off successfully and it was on 6s! but the 6s 2200 weight is 410g and 4s 2650 is 380g... very little difference! have you some ideas why the plane stall? thanks i attach some photo of the work.

img_1832.jpg

img_1833.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. I have tried to maiden my ConceptX... A friend of mine tried to launch my Concept X for me 3 times but all 3 times it ended on the ground! It had the tedency to pitch down even when applying up elevator. The only thing I can think off is a wrong CG(to the front).So could you please show me on a photo where do you measure the CG from? Plus when you launch it do you apply full up elevator from the begining or less?

Thank you,

George

• 1 year later...