2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

Good question, I would probably cover the rods over with a strip of thin plastic or perhaps cover the exposed wire with a bit of vaseline to stop the glue sticking to it.

I didn't build my wing like this in the end so it might be worth waiting to see if Phil has an answer.

Advert

Posted by Mike Hardy on 30/05/2013 17:09:20:

Thanks Wolston, the torque rod run is exposed, is there any fear that the rods will gum up as the glue expands? mask off these areas?

Mike.

Thanks James yes Mike I did some thing similar but used SLEC lightweight snakes as journals you'll find their 2mm threaded rods (thread one end) fit inside these snake inners as the thread is rolled on so the main part of the rod is about 1.8mm and is a sliding fit so in effect I have two journals one inside the other glued into the trench with polyester resin filler over the top very firm

these snakes no photo of the finished object I'm afraid

tucano build day 5_01.jpg

Phil

Posted by Mike Hardy on 30/05/2013 16:47:21:

After many trials and tribulations I have managed to join my wing panels using Phil's wing mod. As my 'work shop' does not have the benefit of 'super power tools' the recess was cut by hand and is a bit uneven so I plan to glue the ply tongue with Gorilla glue which I believe takes up irregularities. Not used this product before - is there any problems I should know about?

Mike.

wing panel join.jpg

Just catching up here Mike my previous answer may not be what you need to know. 1st with any expending polyurethane glue AKA gorrila clamp pressure is a must the firmer the clamping the better the bond and a great bond it is, yes you will need to use some sort of journal for the torque rods but having said that gorrila's not brilliant on shiny metal so probably give the rods a buff with wire wool or fine wet or dry and wax pretty much no chance of them stiking then

you will need to use very little glue especially close to the rods and as it sets get ready to cut the excess away from around the rod exit holes to make sure you don't restrict movement

Phil

Edited By Phil Winks on 30/05/2013 17:46:12

Edited By Phil Winks on 30/05/2013 17:50:46

Posted by Mike Hardy on 30/05/2013 17:39:08:

Another question: aileron deflection, is this measured at the root end or the tip end. I've seen this info somewhere but can't remember where.

Mike

At the root Mike same with the elevators and rudder always as close to the fuse as possibly but also on the elevators and rudder at the widest point

Phil

Both Mike run thin beads up the length of the joint then spread them a little before placing the ply on and adding as much pressure / clamping force as you can. try a trial joint 1st and as James says moisten the surface of the dry side of the joint only moisten mind you not wet its the moisture that accelerates the cure

Phil

After much soul searching I've taken the knife to my Seacano today and fitted the undercarriage hard points. We've got two hard runways on our site and even when landing on the grass, there's a chance of skidding across the concrete so I've now got the option of flying with the wheels on to eliminate this risk. (Doesn't stop me flying through the fence though). I've used Phil's idea of fitting a 3mm bottom plate in rhe nose rather than 1.5. Hoping to finish it off tomorrow and give it a go with the chassis in place on Monday. I don't expect it to make too much difference to the flying characteristics.

I don't think the u/c will make the slightest bit of difference Colin.

My photographer is finally available tomorrow so conditions permitting I'm hoping to get some flying shots of my Jubilee sTucano at last!

Just bought a new DX6i DSMX set to fly it with so I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs too. I haven't needed 2.4Ghz so far, but with the prospect of several Tucanos airborne in the same slot at Greenacres, I thought it prudent to upgrade!

Hi Mike,

well I can't speak for all but I can tell you my reasons. I will have a canopy hatch that runs between these two formers - so the formers will be the end faces of the lip of the hole for the hatch (IYSWIM!). Now I could just leave them as balsa - but with repeated use the edge of the balsa will get rounded (at best) - chipped (at worse). This will make the edge of the hatch much more visible and spoil the looks. So, I've faced F4 and F5 with some 1mm ply to provide a hard wearing sharp edge face. The same with the ends of the hatch itself - which are just copies of F4 and F5 - again balsa with a ply face. So I have a sharp, hard, ply-to-ply edge either end of the hatch.

BEB

re my comments a few days ago about pilots, I gave up in my search for some painted ones and have ordered the Vortex set. BEB, you are on the money about the ordering process, there is link to a online payment company but the domain name doesnt work any more, doesnt instill confidence.

Thanks to Nigel and Phil above for mentioning Paypal though, I emailed Steve and used Paypal to send over the money, he ought to at least update the website to mention this though!

The one minor wrinkle in my plan for the cockpit is, since the house move I've not actually found the damn canopy. If I buy another one, I know for sure the existing one will miraculously appear frown

Sounds like the perfect excuse to build yourself a "spare" Tucano Colin! smiley

As hoped I finally managed a flying session with Peter Armstrong, my column photographer, and gathered at last some hard evidence of my Tucano committing aviation! More pics to follow as and when I get time to shrink them!

1b.jpg

Looks wonderful Nigel. A spare Tucano had crossed my mind, indeed my "son of Tucano" Seafang is sort of intended to be that. However plans sent awry by alterations to "Seacano" further complicated by a minor and unexpected disaster last night, the details of wich I won't bore you with now but you'll laugh when I tell you.

Now busting a gut to get everything sorted made more difficult by 6 days away in Dresden next week. (Another story). Funny how I always begin with loads of time to spare and still finish up in a panic at the end. Story of my life, I really am a sad s*d. Wonder if I can slink off back into the shed without the missus noticing?

Posted by Robin Kearney on 03/06/2013 19:19:58:

Looks lovely Nigel, I've just ordered the same Decals from Tim, if mine ends up looking half as nice as that I'll be very pleased!

r.

I'll second (or third) that! It really looks good.

I like the extra detailing you've added on the top of the fuselage and on the fin. Are they just glued on top of the covering?

Those photos have inspired me to get out to my workshop-to-be right now and get started on building my workbench, stage zero in my Tucano build!

Thanks for the kind comments but I think "Jack of all trades and MASTER of none" would be a more accurate description Phil! blush

The rear deck and fin aerials Robin are simply 1/16" pieces of ply covered in film, epoxied into grooves made in the balsa for better grip. They just add a little bit!

Posted by Nigel Hawes on 03/06/2013 20:40:09:

Thanks for the kind comments but I think "Jack of all trades and MASTER of none" would be a more accurate description Phil! blush

I think many would disagree there Nigel on the subject of the aerials and fins on the rear deck and tail fin I am considering them my self your right they do add something only thing holding me back at the min is on my colour scheme they're white and I'm fresh out of white film might end up using paint though

Phil

Edited By Phil Winks on 03/06/2013 20:46:10