Building the Flair Cub

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Ive just fount this thread and am chuffed that there are others building this cub. I am at the stage of covering the plane and can say i now have a patch of baldness where i have been pulling my hair out. Not having the iron hot enough to getting nice big creases all along it. How has every one else got on with this stage???

Hi Andrew, You will find there are quite a few of us that are building the Cub so welcome aboard.
For me Ive just soldered my first undercarriage - its not perfect but it looks as if it will do the job. Ive also added a tail wheel instead of the skid. I did say at the beginning when I started it that it would be a slow build for me as I have other priorities (my son has just moved home and gets married in about a month's time). However taking it slowly has enabled me to understand more about its structure than if I had just plowed ahead and built it fairly quickly.

With regard to the covering go to the soalrfilm website - on there is a tutorial video showing how to do things. Ive already learned that using certain colours just dont work. Ive covered the underside of the main wing in the antique solarfilm. (The colours were choosen by my daughter). Unfortuantely the antique colour - which is more suited to WW1 planes - shows up all the woodgrain. Still no big loss - if you dont experiement you dont find answers.
Antony

A simple thermometer is available for checking your iron temperature - not sure of the cost now but whn I bought mine many years ago it was about five or six pounds.

It comes with a chart listing temperatures for tacking and shrinking for a number of different types of covering - both film and "Tex" and the different temperatures for different materials - e.g. ply, balsa, foam.