Chargers for Larger Lipos

Hi,

I'm experimenting with larger electric powered models at present - no not converting to electric, don't get excited, I just see the benefits of a mixed fleet that's all!

One issue that has arisen is that my charger - one of those RC6 jobs - is simply not up to charging larger batteries - say 6s. It will do it, yes, but with its power limit it takes forever to charge a 6s 5000mAh battery.

Now as you'll know I am blessed to be in full time employment, so most of my flying is weekends. This means I'm a bloke that expects to fly a model 3-4 times on Saturday and then again 3-4 times on Sunday. Well I can, just about, as long as I'm prepared to be in the workshop until 4:00am Sunday! (I'm really not used to this. Being basically IC, most of my models are ready to go at a moment's notice!)

So, I started looking at higher power output chargers. Two things quickly struck me:

1. Boy aren't they expensive! Not much I can do about that though.

2. They all seem to be "half the kit" - what I mean by this is that even at this higher price they omit a power supply and most of the leads (ie balance board etc) from the deal. When you try to order these extra (but essential) bits, separate power supplies are absolutely silly money and balance boards and other leads needed seem to be perminantly out of stock!

I know I can make up some of the leads - and I don't mind doing that OK, but I'm not in the mood to make a power supply from an old computer - remember I have to work for a living, time spent making power supplies is just time that could be better spent making models or flying as far as I am concerned!

What I want is a 200W or there abouts charger that comes with all the gubbings - including an on board power supply etc. Is that such an unreasonable request? Or do I have to restort to a leisure battery as a power source even at home?

Anyone found something they can recommend?

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/06/2012 21:35:16

Advert

I'm biased because I have an Icharger 206B and I love it. It came highly recommended on this very website and I have to say it was a good recommendation. I pair it with a 25A hobbyking PSU which gives the amps nicely even if it sounds like an EDF when it's switched on- some serious cooling going on there!

My solution is a Cellpro PowerLab 8 charger, supplied by a 12v 20A PSU in the workshop, and by an 86Ah Exide leisure battery at the field. So far I've restricted my charge rate to 1C, but all of the LiPos I've got now claim to be able to take up to 5C charge rate, which might enable you to get to bed before midnight.

I hedge my bets by having several A123-powered models (3S up to 6S) for instant flying capability -- A123s don't seem to mind being stored in a fully-charged state, so I recharge them immediately after flying.

Hi BEB

I'll second the recommendation for one of the iChargers. I use the 208b. They come compete with balance board etc but do need a DC supply.

However I see this as an advantage as it saves lugging an integral mains supply to the field.

I use a fair few A123s and one of the reasons is because they can be charged in 15 minutes. So two packs means continuous flying. Of course them you need a big storage battery at the field...

LiPos are available now that can be charged quickly, so with the right charger, there shouldn't be any staying up till the small hours.

Hi BEB, I know you did not want the hassle of modifying an ex computer supply, i can say that the time required to do so can be very minimal. Half an hour to one hour depending on how basic you wish it to be. Cost about £20 finished for 50+ Amps at just over 12v's regulated.