Changing over to petrol

Ron Brooks

Hi !

Having decided to buy my first petrol unit I realised how ignorant I am concerning the changes and precautions that have to be considered.

I have been unable to trace any in depth information re filtering, fuel tubing, potential radio interference, etc. etc.

Although some of these topics are fairly obvious (petrol fuel tank bungs and tygon tubing being marketed for instance) I wonder if any of the experts has published an article covering all the necessary steps to be taken when converting?

What about an article in the magazine detailing the way to go about a change of "wet" motive power?

I have several diesels that need an "outing " .The last time I ran a diesel it was an E D Bee in a Veron Bee-bug with metal stunt tank. Does this fuel also have a detrimental effect on various plastics ?

Any info welcomed !!

Edited By Ron Brooks on 06/06/2012 12:29:53

Advert

Use Tygon for your diesels as the fuel tubing normally used for Glow Fuel is unsuitable. Be a little paranoid about ensuring the Petrol you use is kept VERY clean and that includes the main filter/fuel clunk in the petrol carry can, as well as the fittings to the fuel filler pump. wihich must also be suitable for petrol. Many advocate a Felt Filter Clunk in the model tank. 2.4Ghz radios don't suffer from much interference from the Ignition System, Servo's possibly could although not too likely. Best avoid 35Mhz nowadays.

Best I think to use a Locking Isolator switch in the Ignition power supply as it will allow safe priming of the engine and also prevent inadvertant bumps or vibration to change it from off/on setting

I hope this helps.