F3A pattern models

Advert

I aquired a pattern ship a couple of years ago and am only just getting it ready for next year. It has a new, when I got it, OS Max 61 RF ABC pumped engine. I have started it about 6 times, but am having a bit of a problem with engine surging once it gets warmed up and I try to run it flat out, although I try to keep it on the rich side. I have very carefuly taken the pump appart and checked for dirt and perished reeds. Not sure what you call the clear bits of plastic. Does anyone know where an exploded picture of the Perry Pump could be found. I have tried Perry Pumps themselves and the, no longer made OS engines site for spares. Secondly does anyone know what the length of the exhaust pipe should be, as I have not cut this yet. Thanks.

Hi Dave

Not sure that it's a pump problem and I hope that you don't think I'm trying to tell how to suck eggs! Firstly, has the tank got a vent open to atmosphere? The pump draws fuel not presurising the tank.

Pipe length. I've checked my set-up on my Hanno (very similar to the RF) and I use an 8.5 inch manifold. On a Webra 61 LS I use an 11" manifold. Both use the red 'Hanno' pipe which is 12 inch from the end of the pipe to the first baffle. I mention this because I had a problem with the Webra 'hunting' and this turned out to be because the pipe was too short. This was with a 'normal' pipe. The baffle on the Hanno was 3" further back. I put this onto the manifold that I was using and 'bingo', success with no further adjustment neccessary. 12 x 9 APC on the Webra, 12 x 12 on the Hanno. Both on 12% Optifuel.

Hope the above gives you ideas to try.

Steve

This site is the one I used to work out a starting point for the pipe length, or here.

As for the surging, google found this (courtesey of RCUniverse) which sounds like you need to lean it out more.

Steve got in first, good point about the venting.  I use 12*10W APC props on my non-pumped 61SFs

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 05/12/2012 13:00:00

Hi Steve and Bob

Many thanks for the advice chaps and I have no problem with being taught to suck eggs.smiley I have read the RCUniverse post a little while ago. I think I need to establish exactly what pipe I have. It is just a mat black tuned pipe with no marks on it. I think the best way for me to go is to simply, get it running and lean it a bit more than I have so far. I will put some grease on the manifold pipe and thus I should be able to slide tuned pipe back and forth, along the silicone tubing. This proceedure will require a club mate to assist me with the tacho readings and throttle. If I have to cut off a bit of manifold and decide It needs to be put back then I can put it into the silicon tubing first. Hopefuly I will get this sorted and be flying this by the spring. The word I was looking for in reference to the clear plastic in my first post was 'diaphragm'. Thanks once again to you both. Dave face 1

Hi Steve

No problem regarding the domain name - more than happy to help get this kicked off.

Regarding the webmaster role, again happy to help but I would like a vision of what the site would contain.. - and more importantly where the content would actually come from. We need to be very careful about image copyright nowadays.

I am already webmaster for three sites:

britastro

and my own sites:

personal

aeromodelling (in development)

My preference would be to use something like Joomla so that content can be easily updated however other may have different preferences.

Perhaps in the short term we can ask the masters here if we can have a UKCAA section in the clubs area so at least we can keep all messages and content in one place.

I suggest that we dont rush at this, its better to get it right rather than rush in and regret the consequences later

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 06/12/2012 09:23:42

Edited By Martyn K on 06/12/2012 09:24:07