How do you remove ca glue from model covering.

Rimmerrail

Thanks for the good advice. Its great to get various views on this and so quickly too. I just returned to aeromodelling after a long time away, so this was an elementary mistake I should have foreseen. On the Acro Wot ARTF the hinges come loose fitted and the instructions are:

• Remove ailerons and use thin cyano to glue the hinges to them.
  • Slide the ailerons into the wing, adjust and glue into position.

The first problem was that having glued the hinges to the ailerons I left insufficient time for the cyano to cure before inserting the ailerons into the wing. Thus it fixed instantly to the wing before I could adjust it. The second problem was that two or three of the mylar hinges "concertinaed" in the middle between the wing and aileron as I worked them back into their slots. Maybe that is a common problem with mylar hinges!

Thanks again. As for the lump hammer, its obviously best I reserve that for the aircraft of someone more experienced - who is better placed to resolve any issues

Advert

oh dear, pain indeed, so, here, again, is how you do it, first, i doubt the hinges are mylar, they are more likely to be cyno hinges, these are designed to soak up the cyno, and the incorrect way to do them is apply cyno, THEN try to fit into the slot, if just 1 had folded, i could have been sorted, but more than one, cut off, and reposition the hinge, dont even try to cut into the old hinge slot,, now, fitting them,

in both trailing edge, and control surface,  drill a 3mm hole, this is to allow the CA to wick into the hinge,

mark the middle of the hinge with a pencil, then insert a pin into the middle of the hinge,

insert into both surfaces, up to the pin,

carefully fold bend back the control surface, wick cyno into the hole, do this in stages, not like a tap!!!,

turn wing/ tailplane/rudder over, and repeat, and thats it, if you have a close fitting slot, there should be no need for horrible pegs,

that help?

Edited By Alan Cantwell on 20/09/2012 20:35:04

This is how I sorted a similar problem, providing there is a 'reasonable' gap between the aileron and wing. Just cut through the one offending hinge then cut fresh slots next to it, the control surface should bend back far enough to do this. Push one end of the hairy mylar in, then with the aileron fully deflected, bend the mylar so you can get the other end in the slot. If it looks good apply cyno and fly. If it doesn't cut the other hinges and start from scratch as above -you've nothing to lose.

Its useful to mark the centre of the hinge with pencil, then if it goes into the slots off centre you can always work it back with a sharp pin until you see the mark.

Good luck

Edited By i12fly on 20/09/2012 21:51:32

The one thing that stops me buying 5Star debonder isnt the price of the stuff,its the rip-off postage charged lumped on top that bumps the price up from £2.99 to £5.99p (shop4glue.co.uk), there was a time when suppliers would sort your order, make it up, then pack it and all you paid for were the goods.

Now the buyer is expected to pay every last penny including feeding the office goldfish, if the sender has to lick a stamp we are probably charged for that too. An A5 Jiffy bag and two minutes of somebodies time to drop a bottle of glue/debonder/whatever into it doesnt cost three quid, maybe £1.50 for the bag plus postage but suppliers regularly make a profit out of the postage charges.