Anywhere to fly near to Ludlow, Shropshire?

Well I've been keeping my eye open round here for a year or two, but we're in a quiet, peaceful part of the world, in a valley, where it seems any field not surrounded by trees or on a fair slope has power lines across it. Why do they run them smack across the middle? Anyway, they're all full of sheep.

It's so quiet round here that I think I/C flying would be quite out of place, although I have a friend up the valley with a few acres who is happy for me to fly helis there. Problem is, the models in my building pipeline are all large-ish (1/5 or 1/4 scale) I/C machines, so decent sized strip needed.

I can fly electric fixed wing and helis on the village football field, but that has power lines at each end too, so I've been making the 55 minute slog up to Shrewsbury more frequently recently. Fortunately I'm retired so can go at any time, but on weekdays I/C is only Wed and Thur which often seems to coincide with the worst weather.

Good luck with the search

David

I know exactly what you mean about power lines - same here too!

I fly almost all electric these days, my Superfly needs some work and the Jiant Jabberwock needs a new motor but both on the back burner to my electric models, so i guess my model types stand me in better stead - just need that field!

Will keep you informed

Mark

• 2 months later...

Hello Mark and David

I would be number 3 for a club near Ludlow. I live in the corvedale 6 miles from Craven Arms and 7 from Ludlow. I fly mainly small electric fixed wing in the field in front of the house but we are in a steep sided valley with trees, power lines and telephone cables to avoid.

With a young family, work and trying to build a house time is in short supply, so 10 minutes on the bank opposite comes as a welcome break. I have been thinking of checking out the Church Stretton club as i would like to get out the old IC models that have not seen the light of day for 10 years but somewhere closer would be a bonus.

Neil

Sorry for the late reply - but good to see a potential 3rd member

I have still been working on finding somewhere and via the council have had one place suggested

I have had permission from the perople responsible for it to "give it a try" but having been down just for a look I an not convinced it will be any good - may give it a whirl anyway but I think it would be suitable fo relectrics only

I am continuing my search and am awaiting some feedback from a couple of local farmers so see if they can spare a few square yards of a field

I will keep you updated when i can