Anywhere to fly near to Ludlow, Shropshire?

Hi everyone - just joined the site and wondered if anyone new of somewhere very near to Ludlow in Shropshire to fly/

I have a real job these days (I also own Ratby Aeroplanes - Jabberowcks and all that and wrote as Electro Flyer on Flyingsites.co.uk when that was active) so get very little time and really need somewhere i can visit quickly to grab a few flights now and again.

I am BMFA B cert and fly mainly electric these days - just looking for a nice field to play in occasionally to keep my skills honed

Thanks - glad to be part of the community

The Church Strettin club is actually just outside Shrewsbury - so still 45 to 50 minutes from me unfortunataley - as per the Shropshire model club

I put an advert in my local parish magazine asking for anyone with a field that i could use but had zero response

I also asked Ludlow Council - they were keen to find me somewhere to fly but only if i started a club to involve local youngsters - i would love to do it but genuinely do not have the time - i work long hours and have a house wife and kids so only just about get time to grab and hour or so here and there- at a push!

Ah well - back to the Minium in the back garden!

Hi Mark

The thing with Church StrettonR/C Model Club is we are closer than you think, Ludlow is a mere 40mins away. Also our fees are VERY reasonable.

Is the Welshpool club a bit closer, although across country on unpaved roads?? Shropshire Model Flying club wa full at last time of asking, but talk to Kit, their secretary, you never know.

PM me for details of Stretton.

BG

Edited By Biggestgerbil on 16/06/2012 23:33:41

Checked Herefordshire and again all about 45 to 50 minutes away

Have just noticed Wyre Forrest Model Flyers on the BMFA site - but no link or contact details - anyone know anything about them?

BG - i will PM you - Thanks

The Earl of Plymouth has a massive estate just outside Ludlow on the A49 which would be perfect (opposite the food centre (also owned by the estate) - e-mail the estates on the address shown on their site but it has bounced! Will try and ring them in the week

Mark,

You are more than welcome to come and fly as my guest at my two local clubs located in Kidderminster, its not too far away.

I am almost certain one of my club mates who lives by Cleobury goes to a field Clee Hill way but I would have to confirm it with him, it may even be common land.

There is also Clee Hill of course, not bad for a bit of slope soaring once in a while.

Rich

Would Ludlow racecourse allow you to fly on their land? Several clubs around the country seem to have this type of arrangement.

Rather than just advertising, it might be better to just approach a farmer directly - for example, there's a field just north of Craven Arms to the east of the A49 where they play football sometimes - perhaps you could find the farmer and ask him if it would be OK to use it on odd occasions - maybe give him a bottle of something once in a while for the privelege?

John A - always fancied that - have a Discus waiting for its maiden plus my Cirrus (28 years old now - the original Graupner rebuilt) - may just pop along one day

Rich - thanks for the invite - where are the Kidde sites? It is two clubs or one with two sites? The Clee Hill info is interesting - had wondered if i could fly on the comman land near Cleeton St Margaret - i am only 2 minutes from Clee Hill

Martin H - That is one of the first places I thought of so went for a drive around - trouble is it is already shared with a Glof Club with most of the course being a golf course - so i dont think they would appreciate me buzzing around! Your last point I think is the way i need to go - have approached the Earl of Plymouth estates (via the food centre so i hope the message gets through - but will pop down there and see if i can have a chat) but have also seen the perfect field just 2 minutes drive from my house - long, wide, flat, mown grass, no power lines, just the occasional grazing sheep, so plan to find out who owns it and see if they will let me fly there

Thanks to everyone so far - great support on here - making my gimbal thumbs itch - if i get it sorted i will be starting the resurection of some of my models that sit neglected - then if i use them all my wife will (may!) understand why i have so many - only about 20 at the moment - that isn't a lot is it?

Edited By Mark Stringer on 17/06/2012 18:22:08

Wyre Forest Model Flyers fly at Larford nr Stourport on severn and at Wolverley nr Kidderminster,i know cos a mate of mine is a member,probably a bit far from Ludlow!! I myself, fly at Central Model Flying Club at Alveley in Shropshire, may be a little closer, but still a jaunt i am afraid..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark - I have the same problem, I'm in Newcastle on Clun, 3 miles west of Clun and 12 west of Craven Arms. Been here nearly 4 years and not found anything closer than the Shropshire club at Montford Bridge (just got back from a couple of hours there - as you say an hour there and an hour back makes it a major expedition).

I have friends and contacts with land hereabouts where I can fly helis, but nothing much for proper fixed wing (i.e. with engines and wheels), although I fly foamies and electric gliders off the village football pitch.

There is a Ludlow Model Heli club (I'm one of the three members!) but it's only really for 450 size electrics and they use the field in front of the rugby club on Sunday mornings, with all the dog walkers and joggers.

When I moved here 4 years ago it looked promising as Mark Leavesley had just opened a model shop in Bishops Castle and was keen to get a club going, but he couldn't make a go of it and he's gone back to full time full size paragliding.

As BG says, the Church Stretton club is at least on 'our' side of Shrewsbury near Condover, but it's a rough old tarmac surface.

Good luck in your search, I would obviously be interested if you come up with anything.

David W

David

Thanks for that - will let you know if i find anything.

I am in Slough at the moment and had a great fly with the club there - such a shame we dont have anything like that available - it is a public park (huge!) but the council have given them permission to use it within guide lines (fly / no-fly zones) and although there are plent of people milling around there doesn't seem to be any issue - everyone knows where the flying takes place and they either keep clear or just come over for a chat - had a great evening!

I did have contact with Ludlow council about it a while ago so may approach them again.

Will let you know if anything comes up

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
Just spent 3 weeks in Colchester after slough and had a great time there too - they have so many sites! Somewhere to fly every day almost
Will have to keep digging now that I am back home as I have really enjoyed my recent flying bonanza!
Perfect field for sale just outside Caynham for sale - 20 acres - anyone lend me 175,000?

There's a small airstrip at Milsom - 52°21'48.27"N 2°32'44.73"W about 10 miles east of Ludlow - would it be worth having a chat to see if the farmer/operator could accomodate you?

£175 000 for 20 acres in Shropshire! Makes the £5000 our club paid for 5 1/4 acres in 1982 in the Hertfordshire countryside seem even more of a bargain! Mind you, I'm told there was healthy opposition to the idea at the time... It seems the going rate for rental of a decent patch in our part of the world is anything up to £4000 a year.

Marin - thanks for your thoughts ....

Milson - lovely private grass airstrip - if you google map it for a route it says 5.6 miles and 15 minutes from my house so should be perfect!

I have flown there a few times - used to be owned by an airline pilot who let me fly when he wasnt working nights but now a new owner who actually flies model aircraft and is there full time as far as i can tell.

Just a couple of issues really with Milson which is why i rarely go there .. the google maps route doesnt tell you that it is very tight single track roads almost the whole way so 15 minutes is not realistic (I drive a Navara so not a great route) and the other thing is that although it is an airfield this is the guy and his families home and i do feel it is a real cheek to just turn up there and expect to fly (even though he always makes me welcome - and sometimes the sheep are on the strip preventing flying anyway) - maybe silly but I don't like to impose and a field somewhere that i can just pop along to without hassling anyone is really what I am looking for.

When i get a minute i will approach the council again and try and contact the estate owner just outside Ludlow to see if i can fly on his land.

Thanks again for the suggestions

• 10 months later...

Just thought I would bump this thread again - but this time was looking for people who live near Ludlow to get an idea of numbers to see if it would be feasible to set up a club there if the right location was found.

So I don't know where yet or how much the fees would have to be, or if I would have the time to run it myself even - but just how many people are local and would join if there was one.

Thanks for any replies

Myself makes 1 .. who is next?

I'll be number 2 Mark. As in my earlier post I'm in Newcastle near Clun, about 30 mins NW of Ludlow. I'm currently in the Shrewsbury club but that's about an hour away, so something nearer would be great. I fly heli and fixed wing, prefer I/C but I do electric as well.

So - would definitely join if the field was 'my' side of Ludlow, and would certainly consider it if it was the other side.

David

The Bromyard club googles at 19.6 miles, 42 minutes - still means the best part of an hour and half travelling to go flying there

I have VERY limited time and hence looking for somewhere closer

Next nearest is Church Stretton Club - but again 45 minutes

Thanks anyway for the suggestion

Just us two then David!

Looks like I just need to find a field then - drives me mad ... I look out of my back window and can see thousands of acres of green fields - there must be one out there that I can use.

I will ask around at the weekend as we have an event at the local school and there should be a few local farmers or their families there.

Will let you know if I have any luck