CML Air Blaster

winchweight

Hi guys, Happy Christmas!

My 14 yr old son bought me the CML Air Blaster for Christmas and I can't find any reviews or builds anywhere. Have you got one? If so, how did you power it?

It is very light and was designed for a geared 380 brushed motor I think. I want to use a brushless and lipo set up, all on a very tight budget, so what do you suggest?

Advert

Hi Shaun, good kid you've got there

No not one we've had for review, assume you've had a look here at the CML site?

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml_product.php?menu=rc_info&productId=0000000062

There's a US mag review to download there. I'd go brushless and Li-Po too - there are some very cheap little motor/ESC combinations around now - GWS do some (Perkins) or RCM Direct or BRC of course.

Sorry Shaun - that didn't really help your question did it?

This excerpt from the RCM&E review....

The Power PlantThe power unit was a bit of a challenge to say the least. CML recommend their own Ultrafly A/30/29 brushless sensorless motor running through a gearbox for the Air Blaster. This did not lend itself to being easily fitted into the motor bay. The gearbox is supplied with various plastic main gears and metal pinions. CML advised using the 70T gear and matching pinion and an APC 10x4.7 e prop. This was the set up used for the Air Blasters of their display team and promised a hot performance.Since I was using a 3s 1800 LiPo supplied by Flightpower with the beefy brushless motor, I decided to increase the thickness of the mounting plate. I doubt the one supplied would have lasted long and was a poor fit and quite thin. I also removed the front of the cowl the make fitting and removal of the unit easy. Once measured and test fitted and ensuring the correct side and down thrust were maintained the whole thing was glued in place with 5 minute epoxy. I drilled a hole through the top of the cowl to allow me to screw the gearbox to the stick mount within and then the front of the cowling was glued back into place with a drop of thin cyano.With the prop adaptor, LiPo and prop fitted I checked the CG and she was ready to go. 

Continued....

FlyingMy castle Creations 45A speed controller was programmed for the 3s LiPo cut off voltage and the battery topped up. This Flight Power 1800 was a bit large for the battery compartment which meant it was impossible to remove once the wing was fitted. I could however still connect and disconnect through that handy hatch on the underside. It was quite a windy day for a light weight electric but with the British weather beggars can’t be choosers and we fly when we can. The geared motor has bags of power and the model shot off down the runway and was in the air after a conservative 10 metres or so. It was obviously quite fast but also a little twitchy and after a struggle with the trims and rates I brought it down for a mechanical tweak and a little reprogramming. With the throws reduced somewhat and exponential dialled in the second flight was much less hair raising and I found that the little model would climb vertically with endless power in reserve.You’ve only got to look at the model to get a good idea of its capabilities. Loops, rolls stall turns spins etc. are all well within its flight envelope. The large prop provides excellent deceleration in the down lines but does affect the glide rather harshly if you allow it to windmill instead of braking it. The choppy wind conditions do flutter it around a bit but the aileron response, though down rated for me, was still good enough to pick up errant wing tips quickly.Knock off the rates and let the motor rip and you suddenly have quite a different toy. 3D flight becomes possible and the Air Blaster will hold a reasonable knife edge too. There is a little wing rock in the harrier and the slight lag while the motor spools up the geared prop might catch you out on occasion when you transit to the hover. It’s really crying out for a direct drive outrunner and that would make the motor installation a whole lot easier too.At the time of writing we’re having a little trouble balancing the CG with the control throws but the elevator flap mix is helping as well as providing mush tighter loops and floatier landing round outs. I might try a smaller pack to get the wing loading down a little. Perhaps a 3s 1200mAh or maybe even right down to an 800mAh pack which is less than half the weight of the original. The undercarriage is proving to be a bit soft for the longer grass and in one particularly abrupt motor cut I managed to bend the gearbox shaft as well.In conclusion this Air Blaster is ideal for a balmy summer evening in fairly still air. It’s small enough to chuck in the car in one piece and with the rates set it can be quite a docile, floaty aileron trainer. Crank things up a bit and it is a truly exciting little electric aerobatic plane. I’d advise fitting an outrunner though and keeping the weight down across the board to get the best out of it.

• 1 month later...