unwanted reverse direction of prop

ericrw

Another Problem! I've just fitted a brand new electric motor to my E-Pioneer and when I gently open the throttle the motor goes in reverse direction ( yes, the esc and motor wires are installed correctly) until I open it up, then it spins in the correct rotation ! I've tried adjusting the throttle trim on my Spectrum DX6i transmitter but to no avail ! Is it a problem with the motor or is it me???

Advert

Two options

1) try fiddling with the timing on the ESC

2) leave it as it is, to start it just spin it up with a finger before putting in some throttle- obviously only once the aforementioned finger is out of the way. In flight the windmilling of the prop will sort this issue out for you.

It's basically just the sensorless ESC trying to come to turns with the back EMF down the motor leads. It's getting a bit confused. Adjusting the timing might well help.

Hi ericrw.

I have seen this before but am not sure why it happens.
When the motor starts up the esc has no idea where the rotor is until it's moving fast enough to give some feedback.
It seems that in some cases the combination of a particular motor and particular ESc gives this problem.
I don't know of a cure, but it's possible that both components will be fine with different partners.

Is it the same with the prop removed? i.e. with less rotational inertia. Not that knowing the answer will help.

Ooh one other thought, are the ESC to motor leads very long? I have known extended leads giving such a problem.

The leads have not been extended and in answer to Vecchio, the esc has been used in another model,without problem, but now transfered to the model in question! I have sent an e.mail to BEC Hobbies (where I bought the motor from) seeking their advice but todate after 4 days ,no answer.