GoPro found lost model

A couple of days ago a member of our flying club lost control of his Wot4. The next morning I had a request to fit my GoPro camera to one of my models and fly over the area in an attempt to find it. I fitted the camera to the side of my Riot, made a single flight over the fields in roughly the area of the lost model.

I went back to the car, played the video on my laptop, saw a bright orange object three fields from our flying site, then phoned Bob who was out looking for it. "There's something orange in the hedge of the third field." Sure enough, it was the lost Wot4 which had spent about three nights in the rain! It wasn't too badly damaged and will be flying again in a few days. These GoPro cameras are great! Mission successful.

The photo is a still from the video.  I was flying from the field in the background and could barely see what my model was doing!  I flew over the crashed Wot4 only once by sheer luck.  It was also extremely windy that day so I was lucky I didn't lose my Riot too!

lost-model2.jpg

Edited By Tony Forrest on 27/06/2012 00:50:08

Edited By Tony Forrest on 27/06/2012 00:57:41

Edited By Tony Forrest on 27/06/2012 01:01:54

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 27/06/2012 12:01:11

Advert

I lost my Arising star in a field of chest high peas. I walked up and down the tractor lines but could not find it. A fellow member flew over field with a model with camaera attached and located it 10 feet from where I had walked.Jeff

lost plane.jpg

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 27/06/2012 12:02:24

Excellent..

Not only happy stories, but cool pics too..

What happens if you loose a camera tho.. !!

On a vid i'm currently editing, I come out of a spin, realised the hedge was gonna be in the way, so turned out downwind, lost height, and 'scuffed' the floor, behind the hedge aswell, so I could only hear the scrape, then saw the plane coming back up..!!!

I then noticed the battery hanging by the connector, down by a wheel..!! One very careful circuit saw it down OK... Phew, I thought, as I inspected the gravel-rashed Lipo.... Then.. Errr.. Where's the keyfob camera..!!!!!

Fortunately I found it in the grass within a few minutes, helped by the white velcro...

A lesson learnt, in paying attention to where you're standing, whilst spinning wildly towards the ground..!!

Luv

Chrisie.. xx