Requiem for a WOT 4

GrahamC

I was trying to get the SC91 on my YAK 54 to run the in the correct direction today when I hear the words "Dad... its gone in the field."

So off we go searching the field.... and....

I know some might say it is repairable, but It is going in the bin. I was actually given this as another modeler's write-off to repair, and I put it together as a hack for my 15 year old son. He loved it, and was coming on leaps and bounds. He has a Black Horse Renegade but thinks it is a bit boring compared with the WOT.

The fuselage is split most of the way down to the tail and the centre section of the wing is mashed, so I'm not reparing it this time.

So what happened....

It span in and my son didn't think he had any control. He's not sure, but he doesn't think it was something he did. I think it is possible that we have a suspect receiver. We can't be sure but we had a funny 30 seconds before with an aircraft that had the receiver in it. We put it down to a dodgy switch, but I wonder now... The only odd thing was that one of the rudder cables had snapped! Strange as the rudder is undamaged.

It did go in hard and the engine was almost buried. The engine looks to be OK which is good news!

The only thing is... now do I let him fly mine?

Advert

I would take the undercarriage and those tail surfaces before you bin her- unless you already have. Confusing what happened, I've no idea. Sad to see a Wot die, I like Wot 4s a lot. Never mind, onwards and upwards!

CS

PS. Of course you must let him use yours! I am a young modeller, and I would certainly want Dad to let me use one of his planes if my Funfly crashed, and he would! Just had a nice flight with my Funfly today.

Always sad to lose a favourite model. I lost my WOT4 (a "real" kit built one! wink 2) a few years back. I'd had it yonks and I always enjoyed flying it - even on those days when I felt a bit lukewarm about flying at all - it was the "chicken soup" of model aeroplanes! Comfort flying!

Is the young man sure that, in a fit of exuberance that we're all prone to now and then - even us oldies!, he didn't just stall it? It could very well be an Rx problem as you say, but if I had a penny for everytime I had obseved someone staring at a spinning-in well, stalled model, frantically twidding the sticks and shouting "I've no control" ooohh, I'd have about £1.47 now!

BEB

Hmm... Well we will never really know! He's pretty quick on the sticks - what he lacks in experience he makes up for with very quick reactions! Me might have stalled and spun in - but he spins with aplomb , knows how to put an aeroplane in to a spin and how to get it out so.... And... It flew very well for all the repairs, and really had to be put in the spin deliberately, and held there.

I'll give him the benifit of the doubt!

Anyway, ConcordeSpeedbird will be glad to know, I did actually get him flying my own WOT4 later in the day!