Age groups of modellers

Fats Flyer

Advert

i used to be into model trains and when visiting a new train shop i saw Avicraft decided to go in and got chatting bought a few magazines and they drew out basic plans for a glider and i brought a bundle of wood from them and with my fathers help over several evenings produced two gliders that flew extremely well. i had previously built planes but none of them flew because they all had flat wings since i knew nothing about aerodynamics back then. i eventually brought a pico tiger moth kit and built that which flew very well and i still have this today little beaten up but it still flies. 

last year was when i really started building. i managed to get a table set up in the garage and then i saw the simplex which i liked and brought the required 4 pieces of balsa to build it. went home that evening and built most of it. covered it in dope and tissue (what a smelly process- got a few headaches from that one). the first flight was when i was on holiday in about 20MPH winds but it still handeled them beautifully. i did eventually get about 3 flight out of it when i lost sight and had a nasty crash. recently i rebuilt it changing some aspects e.g battery location  and it is waiting for its maiden. if someone is looking for their first plan build i reccomend this plan really nice and simple to build from and its a vintage

i have to say the reason why i build is because i like the idea of building something from raw materials and flying it. i get so much satisfaction when building and flying something i have built. ARTFs spoil this and i don't like the look and the quality of some ARFs price is also another factor, i would rather build something that i trust and can build cheaper than an ARTF that frankly i don't trust.

p.s just got a guillows walnut scale tiger moth that i am converting to rc. so many planes so little time and money   don't know if any one knows about replikit.com but it is builders heaven.