Spektrum DX6I Model Settings Reset

daba

Hi all i thought i'd urgently bring this to you're attention, earlier i was using my dx6i for my simulator, normally i use my aurora 9 but since daba had problems with his dx i wanted to see if i could get mine to glitch. So here i am flying my flight sim, (clearview sim, superb) i changed it to model 9 on my memory which was free so not to affect my other aircraft, i flew for 2 hours on sim adjusting my settings here and there but not model change, i disconected from the sim since i was heading outside for some nightflying with my phase 3 squall for thos who dont know the squall its a delta style aircraft, so here i am outside , i changed to model memory 2 which is the squall and checked everything over, yip all good right stick back both tabs up , right stick left right tab down left tab up, so all servo's are moving correctly , i performed a range check and all was great, the phone then rang so i switched the tx off and ran into the house , ended up missing it haha, so back out i come , i switched on the tx didnt check the surfaces again since had just done so , gave her full throttle and a gentle throw, immediately i noticed a big problem, forward stick nose up , backwards nose down, i cut the throttle and let it glide into the marsh, luckily no damage, wellies on pick up model and darn all the controls are reversed, how ? i really dont know, i'm going to reset everything and start all my model memorys from stage 1 again, also going to try it again with the sim then a flight but use a very cheap test bed aircraft, Daba you're not alone but i am happier now that ive seen it happen for myself, i always say to myself if i relise my controls are reversed, if in doubt let it glide out,

Scott

• 8 months later...
Advert

I had the same thing happen today with my DX6 i . Changed to model 3 funfighter , Failed to notice elevator going in wrong direction and smacked straight into the ground . On further inspection all duel rate , sub trim, expo, servo reverse settings were back at the default settings .Had flown this plane and a couple of others this morning with no problems , untill changing back to the t28 . We thought it was reciever problem for a start but soon worked out the problem was model 3 resetting itself . Any way have contacted HH reguarding the problem will be interesting to hear there response, Great Forum keep up the good work!!

Don't use Spektrum myself, but reading through these posts I wondered if everybody with this problem was using the original battery box with the spring clips. Might it be that one or more of the batteries is making poor or intermittent contact so the tx turns off momentarily without saving? Did I read this somewhere else? There might be a small size difference between alkalines and nimhs that could cause problems here. If going to nimhs it might be safer to take out the battery box and use a premade pack.

OTOH it might be nothing to do with it!

John.

There have been a number of references in this thread to battery voltage. I would be interested to know what folks regard as a 'safe' minimum for their DX6i Tx batteries?

I only use Alkaline cells (i.e. none rechargable) so as to maintain max possible voltage, typically a new set of alkalines will show 6.5 volts, possibly 6.6 volts; my lower limit is 6.0 volts then they get changed. I might have gone down to 5.9 volts on one ocassion during a prolonged flying session.

This may be over cautious but I'd hate to loose a model for the sake of a set of Tx batteries.

Edited By avtur on 04/08/2013 13:31:39

• 7 months later...

Old post - new thoughts.....

DX6i, switch it on, and do nothing else, switch it off again - the display briefly shows "SAVING SETTINGS"...

What is it saving? Why is it saving? Nothing has changed, so why bother with trying to write to the flash memory while powering down. Saving settings should be, IMHO, a manually initiated operation after you have actually changed any of the settings. Saving anything while the circuitry is being powered down doesn't seem "right" to me.

Your computer, your tablet, your laptop, your mobile phone, your kindle, Kindle Fire, Sky box etc, all save settings when shutting down. It is part of the protocol, irrespective of whether you have done anything or not.

The programmed facility is there to enable a save if you accidentally switch off, or switch off on purpose but forget to save settings. There is no point in a machine looking for changes in setting before it decides to save settings or not as that would take time, battery power and slow the shut down process so, by default, the most prudent action is to save on exit.

The cicuitry is not being "powered down" in any imaginary sense, indicating a lesser state at the same time of saving settings, it simply saves current settings that where there at the time the device is turned off - then it turns off. I would not worry about any issues with the "saving whilst powering down" process.

Hi all. Can I call upon the mass experience of the forumites. I hope that I am not going too far off thread but what is involved in changing the 4 cells in my DX6i from Nimh at 5+ volts to a 2 cell LiFe or LiPo with a significantly higher voltage? I have seen adverts for the change for other DX series Tx's but not for the DX6i. Happy Landings, Roy

Posted by Roy Hill 3 on 19/03/2014 20:00:01:

Hi all. Can I call upon the mass experience of the forumites. I hope that I am not going too far off thread but what is involved in changing the 4 cells in my DX6i from Nimh at 5+ volts to a 2 cell LiFe or LiPo with a significantly higher voltage? I have seen adverts for the change for other DX series Tx's but not for the DX6i. Happy Landings, Roy

Yes, off thread, but I'll bite

A quick Google shows DX6i's being run successfully on a 2S LiPo.

However the battery space is so small nobody is getting near a 1000mAh 2s in there.
So your run time will be less than good Alkalines.

I find a set of Duracells last me months and I keep a spare set in my box just in case.

If you are desperate to have rechargeable batteries, consider Eneloops or similar low discharge NiMh. They will give you 2000mAh and use the built in charging port. I found them very effective in my FM set.

But with the miniscule power consumption (about 40mA) of the DX6i I decided that I was not using enough Alkalines to justify £10 for Eneloops. Buying bulk Duracells from 7dayshop.com may be affecting my decision.

It depends on whether it is a DSM2 or DSMX version, Andrew - you can tell which it is by looking for an 'X' to the right of the screen. If it's a DSMX Tx, then have a look at this page to see if the PID of your Tx is listed there.

This is a further service bulletin for the Dx6i.

In either case if these apply to your Tx, I'd email Horizon Hobby UK at [email protected] for their advice.

Pete

Hi Pete. Thank you for your response. Some useful info for sure. Firstly, it is the "x" version. The tx does not have a date label in the positions suggested in the service bulliten. In fact the only number visible anywhere is in the box and appears just above the bar code and I'm thinking is more of a product code rather than a specific serial number. I never actually found the listing on the Spektrum site!! Doesn't make much difference without an individual PID I'm guessing. Looks like a mail to horizon then!! Thanks again, Andy.