My Forum Gripes...

FunnyFlyer

In no particular order...

Please make your links open in a new tab or window:

Easy to do - just open the Target tab on the link dialog box and choose the new window option. Makes it much easier to switch between the Forum and the external content.

Punctuation

Just the basic use of full stops and capital letters would make a big difference to some authors' posts. Counted a 97 word single paragraph post with no capital letters, full stops or apostrophes yesterday. Madness!

Use of the apostrophe - my own personal "fingers down the blackboard". How many "My models engine cut out" or "I have two engine's for sale" must we endure?

​Use of things like "Amperage"

​Another cringe moment for me is when people talk of "Amperage" instead of Current - which is measured in Amps. You wouldn't say "What is the pound-age of your model". You'd ask what the weight is.

Rant over.

Edited By FunnyFlyer on 31/07/2012 12:05:23

Advert

I make more mistakes than anyone when it comes to electrical so those terms i probably/ more than likely use.

One day i will understand, but is 1 candle equal to 1watt? to which is a light bulb of 40watts=40 candles?

Is amperage the current being drawn by said motor or appliance eg 10 amperage per hour but current different because that can be reversed?

i am hopeless at this please help.

bbc.

Hi BBC

Started electrical apprentice in the 60's ended up as an electrical engineer, so as you can imagine i don't have any issues with it. No, a candle is not a watt. 1 amp at one 1 volt is 1 watt, the current being drawn by a motor is measured in amps. RE:10 amps per hour, perhaps the best way to describe this is in a measure of capacity, eg, batteries are measured in amp/hours. You may have a starter battery that is a 10 amp /hour. It can deliver 10 amps for one hour.

Graham

@bbc

Watt is the unit used to measure Power. In electrical terms, Power in Watts = Voltage x Current.

The symbol for voltage is V and is measured in Volts. The symbol for Current is I and is measured in Amperes or A for short.

So P=V x I

An electric motor will draw a Current of, for example, 25A on a 10V pack - so the power in Watts being consumed by the motor is 250 Watts.

It all gets very technical very quickly - as Voltage is strictly speaking the measure of electrical potential - but the basics are pretty simple.

Posted by graham kindberg1 on 31/07/2012 12:50:05:

Hi BBC

Started electrical apprentice in the 60's ended up as an electrical engineer, so as you can imagine i don't have any issues with it. No, a candle is not a watt. 1 amp at one 1 volt is 1 watt, the current being drawn by a motor is measured in amps. RE:10 amps per hour, perhaps the best way to describe this is in a measure of capacity, eg, batteries are measured in amp/hours. You may have a starter battery that is a 10 amp /hour. It can deliver 10 amps for one hour.

Graham

Or 1 Amp for 10 hours.

Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 31/07/2012 13:22:19:

This is why I fly IC. For me it is sooo much simpler. All the P=IV etc is for my Physics lessons, not my hobby! I did get A* in the exam though...

CS

good onya smarty pants,

me two thumbs on me left hand make it hard to count ya no. physics I thought that was when we had lessons on the fairer sex?

LOL. bbc.

If were adding our own gripes then for me its people that point out spelling and punctuation mistakes.

Sorry if it offends, just my thoughts. Its a RC flying forum about RC flying not an English exam. Posts will reduce if people are critical trust me I know.

Please feel free to mark the mistakes with a red pen and post the results to somone that gives a damm.

BB

Edited By Barnesyboy on 31/07/2012 13:48:18

Edited By Barnesyboy on 31/07/2012 13:48:30

Posted by Barnesyboy on 31/07/2012 14:01:14:

some people dont understand current watts and amps, I dont understand , " : - and spelling dose that make me a lesser person worse flier, rubbish builder, poor husband, bad business manager etc etc

BB

Of course not!

It just adds a little bit of finesse and polish.

Edited By FunnyFlyer on 31/07/2012 14:09:57

I am with bb on this one. English at level 2 ( or equivilant GCSE,CSE, O level)is not an entry requirement to the forum. People have varying degrees of knowledge in all manner of areas. As this is an open forum younger forumites will not have undergone 11 years of compulsory education, or our international friends who use english as a second language. Can they not use the site??

RC flying in all formats , that's the reason we all are here.

Posted by FunnyFlyer on 31/07/2012 13:55:05:

@Barnesyboy

Surely a capital letter at the start of each sentence and the odd full stop here and there is not too much to ask from people who have spent 11 years in compulsory education?

It's not about being a pedant, it's about aiding understanding.

Correct, and as for spelling, how would we easily understand a post which uses for example "wait" when "wieght" is meant? multiply that type of error as is all too "to" common.

Now had I removed all punctuation from the post by BB and my own, then joined them together without any breaks or new line,. Not so easy to understand.

Posted by Gaz Elliott on 31/07/2012 14:21:46:

I am with bb on this one. English at level 2 ( or equivilant GCSE,CSE, O level)is not an entry requirement to the forum. People have varying degrees of knowledge in all manner of areas. As this is an open forum younger forumites will not have undergone 11 years of compulsory education, or our international friends who use english as a second language. Can they not use the site??

RC flying in all formats , that's the reason we all are here.

Agree Gaz

Let us not forget the older generation that have enough trouble logging in nevermind typing to a A level standerd.

Get real guys and keep the RC forum about RC

BB

Edited By Barnesyboy on 31/07/2012 14:27:21