Vulcan XH558 to Duxford!

Hello from the Concorde nerd,

Not about Concorde today, but her mother, the Vulcan. For the first time since 2008, and possibly the last time, Vulcan XH558 is performing over Duxford! I've been waiting for years for this!

It's at the Duxford airshow. XH558 will be performing on Saturday 8th September, and NOt on the Sunday. Here's the page on the Duxford site.

I've seen her fly once, just a low pass over Rutland water so I'll be going, and I'll see Concorde G-AXDN, the British pre-production airframe in the amazing Airspace hangar! There will be many other flying displays from all sorts of aircraft, Spits, Hurricanes, B17 and more!

I'm excited already! Last time this happened there was an article about it!

Who's coming?

Concorde Speebird (no1 Vulcan-Duxford dept!)

Advert

I also think it is a spectacular aircraft. I suffer from tinnitus now thanks to Vulcans and the fact that MoD had an exclusion from H&S laws until the mid to late 80s. Every war game exercise ended with the 4 Vulcans on the Quick Reaction Alert stands at the end of the runway, starting up together and then taking off, one immediately after the other. Us poor Erks had to take what shelter we could behind the ground machinery and cover our ears as best we could too (hence the tinnitus now). The sight was magnificent and the noise.....! It sounded like the end of the world.

Great, hope you go as well!

On the calender, and I'm sure Dad will want to go as well (he's in France). So I will most likely be there! Can't wait to see Concorde as well, even if she is only on the ground! G-AXDN, British Pre-production model and acheived the fastest speed that Concorde ever travelled, Mach 2.23 with Brian Trubshaw at the controls.

CS

• 3 weeks later...

gawd, we used to curse these tin triangles when i was a kid, they where forever flying over here, over, and under the airport traffic, now, love her to bits, but feel the money spent is money that many other planes could have, its nice to see her in the air though, my best vulcan memories? flying a phase 6 on a local hill, and having the big bird come at use from behind, the ground shook a little, then, when i was younger, watching bombing practise off the beach at mablethorpe, and having a raf heli hover over us, telling us to--erm--go away, well, we did not know we where on a bombing range!!!!

then i look at XM603 at woodford, and think, how sad, i can only see one end for this plane, and it aint prettysad