Bendy Tail!!!!!!

While flying the Meio last Sunday I put a Fob-Cam facing rearwards on my Phoenix Banshe sloper.

It was blowing over 25mph and when I played the film back I was surprised to see how much the fin was bending in the wind.

Is this something I should address or is it no cause for concern?

The fin is made of 4mm correx.

Cheers all

Phil

Advert

Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 03/08/2012 20:46:17:

You can put some diagonal struts on from the fin to the tailplane, that should sort the problem. We did that with our Wot 4.

CS

Or it might just result in the tailplane being pulled out of line as well! A wobbly fin is one thing, a flexing tail plane is a whole different matter. disgust

What does it fly like Phil? If there is no sign of fishtailing and the rudder response is what you're looking for why interfere with a winning combination? Corex will stand a fair bit of bending without breaking and its not a precission aerobat. So if you're happy with how it flies I'd leave it alone.

If you think it really is a problem then stiffen the fin with couple of thin carbon rods glued onto either side.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/08/2012 23:37:16

I worked on B29's when in the RAF. Although ground crew had many opportunities to go up. The place to avoid was the mid-upper turret ( all guns were remote controlled ) which faced rearward towards the tailplane. As you were flying that huge fin and stabilizer was going up and down and from side to side. Rather nauseating so it was useful that the Elsans ( loos !!! ) were very adjacent to this position. I dread to think how tail end Charlie felt going up and down with it. Remember, because of the pressurisation configuration, once he was in position, he was there for the duration of the flight. Maybe 8 hours. Alan.