A receiver's 'input voltage'

J Myers III

Hi all, just a quick question: What is the meaning of a receiver's 'input voltage'?

I ask this because there is there is a receiver which I have had my eye on but today as I was reading through it's specifications its 'input voltage' is 3.7v-9.6v. I would use this receiver for an electric setup which uses a 3 cell (11.1v) lipo... Does this mean that this receiver will not be compatible with the battery pack?

Thanks in advance!

Advert

The power for the Rx comes via your speed controller. The battery connects to the ESC and the ESC connects to the motor and the Rx throttle channel. Pretty well all Rx's can be supplied with power via any channel - not just the one marked "Batt". The ESC contains a voltage reulator to limit the input voltage to the Rx to around 5.5-6v.

So, provided you don't try to connect your 3s directly to your Rx - and always go via the ESC - you'll be fine.

BEB

Another point to remember is that whatever voltage you feed to the receiver is also fed to your servos, so even though your receiver may be ok on 9v, most servos will object most strongly by withdrawing their labour on a permanent basis, often with the release of some nasty smelling and expensive smoke.

There are servos that can take higher voltages but they are neither common nor cheap. Even a 2S LiPo (8.4v nominal) setup will kill the average servo.