How many lipo cells?

Gaz Reed

I have very little if no knowlege on elecs.So working out cell count for a said kit is beyond me.

I have aquired from a friend 6 packs of good 5s 4200 packs because he no longer as a use for them.

I have a trainer at the moment which uses 3s packs so its no go for that.

I am building at the moment a Flair puppeteer Bi-plane which i intended to run IC with.I am now thinking of going electric with these cells.But i have no idea what the proper cell count should be.I am open to the motor and esc to suit the 5s packs.The weight of the kit is stated at 8lb/3.6kg.I could get a slightly smaller kit at 6lb/2.7kg if that is more suited to 5s packs.

Any advice would be great.

Advert

You decide the power needed to fly the plane. A good starting point is 100 watts per pound of aircraft.

Number of cells does not really matter. For example a six cell pack at 24 volts and 20 amps is the same as a three cell pack at 40 amps.

So you choose a motor with an output power of sufficient watts maximum to fly the plane (look up the motor specs). Then you look at the RPM/volt figure. If you want to use a six cell pack you would look for a motor with half the rpm/volt that you would use if you had a three cell pack. You also have to look at the recommend props. You would not want a 6x5 prop on a Puppeteer.

It looks complicated because it is. I have been doing it for years. didn't stop me scrwwing up a moter choice a couple of weeks ago smiley

My Carl Goldberg Cub weighs in at 7lb 4oz and flies very nicely on an XYH C4250 700Kv motor with a 12 x 8 prop, producing around 750W@40A on a 5S pack.

I reckon 5S is about the right size pack for the Puppeteer. Motor-wise, anything around the 700Kv mark would be OK. Mine is no longer available but I'd be looking at this motor or this one as suitable replacements, with a 60A ESC. I'd say they would be ideal for the Puppeteer.

Pete

Posted by Mark Powell 2 on 16/08/2012 14:41:53:

You decide the power needed to fly the plane. A good starting point is 100 watts per pound of aircraft.

Number of cells does not really matter. For example a six cell pack at 24 volts and 20 amps is the same as a three cell pack at 40 amps.

Re number of cells not really mattering...

It does start to have impact with high power systems. A larger cell count gives a higher voltage, which means that for a given Power (Watts) you can use less current. Keeps ESC ratings sensible and give good duration.