Disappointing kit

I have built a few kits over the years so some little faults are no problem, but as the build on my 1/6th J3 Cub progresses i am finding plenty of faults with part size, part shape, and the wood in general.

One main spar had a distinct taper toward the centre so a replacement was needed, that meant two new spars, as my local hs didn't have the required thickness and strength of balsa needed for the job, spruce and balsa laminations were made. local hobby guy gave me half price on the spruce and balsa too after seeing the part.

Next, onto the ribs, it looks like the ribs were die cut in different factories as two sheets had ribs that were 3mm short so 4 new ones were cut. another sheet went from hard to soft balsa so the back 3rd of two ribs were soft and crunched around the edges, so another two ribs were made. Another rib sheet had one rib that was a different grain to the rest of the sheet.

not expensive to sort out and sure fixable, but frustrating, for nearly 200dollars without wheelsand other bits and bobs before covering you know why people go arf.

fuse half built along with tail feathers and happy with that.

bbc.

Advert

Yes, it doesn't sound ideal. I don't mind sourcing my own parts when going off-piste (e.g. adding a rudder to a 3 channel plane) but having to replace bits offered as fit for purpose is a tad annoying. Especially, as you say, when it was $200.

I thought die-stamped parts went out with 35Mhz sets

Not good though, if the parts aren't the right size and aren't built from suitable material you're having to buy your own balsa and cut your own parts (you can't even use the incorrectly cut parts as templates). You may as well just get a plan!

I read somewhere about extensive use of balsa commercially - I think it might have been for wind turbine blades.

Actually, I'm fairly certain that since the widespread adoption of this "green" power source, the wind has increased beyond all reasonable expectation...I wonder whether they've been wired incorrectly and are producing wind, not harnessing it? This would fit in with the general term "wind farm" - after all, an arable farm produces crops, dairy farms produce milk, livestock farms produce meat etc.

Good point BBC - probably what causes the normal breezes - I've often wondered where they came from before wind turbines were invented...

While you're at it, could you enlighten me how stuff stayed on the ground before Sir Isaac Newton invented gravity?  There again, living down under it's probably irrelevant to you anyway as the blood must rush to your head unless you're doing a handstand!

Edited By Martin Harris on 03/09/2012 00:16:34

Posted by bouncebouncecrunch on 03/09/2012 00:06:34:

Martin, I thought it was the trees swinging back an forth that caused the wind, i have noticed that seems to happen a lot.smile p

Lol at Martin! BBC it's obviously an antipodean thing from your neck of the woods(groan), as every time the 70ft eucalyptus in my garden swings about I can't fly.face 20