Throttle cut out problem

Advert

Hi Philip and welcome.

My first thought for your prblem is that the battery voltage is reduced more and more as you open the throttle further and further. This is normal, but if it takes the voltage below the speed controllers cut off setting then it will behave as you describe.

There are probably a few other possible reasons, but this is the most likely.

Cheers
Chris

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. Open the throttle slowly & the revs go up. Open the throttle quickly & the prop starts to turn, then there is a "click" & the motor stops. On one occasion when running nearly flat out the motor must have reversed for an instant as the prop was thrown off. These events do not occur with the prop removed.

The motor draws 4 amps, the battery is a 1000mAh 3c, new. The above also occurred with an older battery.

The ESC is a SIMPLEX3D from RC Systems, about 6 years old. The leaflet does not give any instructions as to programming the unit.

The post by Chris (Bott) seems to give the problem but not the cure. The original poster has not given his results as suggested by Garbo on 10-09-12.

Peter Gain.

Sorry - forgot about solution. The best solution would be a battery better suited to this - either higher capacity or a better C rating. running a 1000mAh battery at 3A means it will last approx 1/3 of an hour. Running a battery at or beyond it's limit is also very bad for it....

Olly

Hi Olly ,

Thanks for your reply. I omitted to say that the original battery was 800mAh, 3S, 1P, 20C, 16amp continuous. The a/c is a "Little Ship" (44" span) & performance was satisfactory. This battery was OK until last week-end when the above problem surfaced. The power was noticably down & the a/c barely climbed. Consencus of opinion was that the battery was just time expired.

I purchased the new battery which is marked "Overlander" 1000, 3S, 25C constant discharge.

I take your point about not over running a battery but what causes the motor to cut out when the throttle is opened quickly but not when opened slowly? And why should the problem manifest itself after previously giving no trouble?

Perhaps I should stick with glow engines, they are so much less trouble & easier to understand!

Peter.