Corby Starlet project in Malta

Edwin van der Maat

Advert

Hi Ton,

Thankssmiley. Of course there will a detailed cockpit. I will need the assisstance of my wife to create a pilot. The 1:4 size does not fit properly, and since the model is 1:4.3, I think I will use a 1:5 scale bust as the bases for a 'full' pilot (by the looks of it will the poor guy angelno feet and maybe shorter legs).

Continued the build. First I tackled the wing to fuselage bottom at the wing leading edge. On the photos of the original the fairing is clearly visible.

dscn8949.jpg

Used a ply template temporary at the landing position to get the height right. Made up a small support frame of scrap 3mm balsa.

dscn8950.jpg

After 3 attempts embarrassed, I finally got a reasonable fairing. The first one, I moved the sheeting of 1.5mm when I was gluing and got stuck. The second one was good, but the fairing was too round. So remove again angry 2. Flatten the side of the frame, and this time glued the 1.5mm sheet with woodglue.smile

dscn8951.jpg

dscn8952.jpg

I used a bit of balsa light filler on the afted.Tomorrow, I can sand the area smooth.

dscn8953.jpg

The second part today was to sort out the tail area. Measured out the stab agains the wing. No adjustment to the tail cut out were requiredsmiley. So the tail surfaces were glued in place. Prepared a template for the 2mm sheeting around the fin to stab. The sheeting was cut, sprayed water on the outside to make the balsa more flexible and glued the pieces in place.

dscn8956.jpg

Then I added the dorsal fin. I used a bit of balsa light filler around the edges. Tomorrow, I can sand the areas smooth and round of the dorsal fin area at the fin.

dscn8958.jpg

dscn8962.jpg

That was it for today.

Edwin

Goodmorning,

Last night sanded the areas around the fin and stab smooth.

dscn8980.jpg

dscn8981.jpg

Then concentrated on the aileron balance horns. Marked out the horn with reference to the 3-view. Cut off the horn and trimmed the edge back to follow the rib. Added some scrap 3mm balsa and sanded smooth with the wing.

dscn8966.jpg

After glued in a filler piece of 3mm balsa in the shape of a triangle to close the aft end of the tip.

Then I trimmed the horn to have approx. 1.5mm clearance all around, and pinned the horn in the correct position with the aileron in place. The aileron is held neutral by use of the small balsa tool I made before. I cut and glued in filler pieces to attach the horn to the aileron.

dscn8967.jpg

dscn8974.jpg

dscn8975.jpg

dscn8977.jpg

So both horns are ready. The only part left of the basic build of the wing is to strengthen the wing bolt hole area, and a bit of sanding.

Edwin

The next part is more challenging because here I have to deviate from the plan quite a bit. The first part is to glue the nose ring from the kit.

dscn8983.jpg

Since I only have the rear mount for the motor, I need to install a engine mount and cut out the first former.

dscn8984.jpg

With the dremel I made a round hole matching the inner diameter of the nose ring. Later I will smoothen this, when I finish the nose shape.

dscn8987.jpg

On drawing (RBC) is shows a cooling hole on either side. With the hot climate here, some extra cooling air is always good.

dscn8989.jpg

The nose bottom hatch front former is of a different shape than the model of the original one I am building.

**LINK**

dscn8991.jpg

So I started with 3mm balsa base glued to the kit F3 former. Then I made some new pieces to create an intake.

dscn8994.jpg

dscn8996.jpg

After that I made a balsa template for the cowling shape.

dscn8997.jpg

Sine I did not know how much I had to modify the nose shape, I glued in some extra wood. Later I will shape this to have more access room.

dscn8998.jpg

Using the template I cut 2cm light balsa pieces and glued them together.

dscn8999.jpg

dscn9001.jpg

dscn9002.jpg

dscn9004.jpg

After a bit of sanding, I achieved a reasonable shape. After lunch the other side and given everything a good sanding, before proceeding with motor mount. For the cooling holes, I made some balsa fairings to guide the ram air onto the motor. These will be inside the provided vacuum formed engine cowling cheeks.

dscn9006.jpg

dscn9007.jpg

dscn9009.jpg

Best regards,

Edwin

Goodevening,

Finished the hatch. The nose ring required a little filler on both fuselage side, which still needs to sanded.

dscn9012.jpg

The hatch in place.

dscn9013.jpg

The motor installation. The spinner I have is about 4mm to big in diameter, but that is not a problem to continue for the moment. Later I will purchase the correct size.

dscn9015.jpg

Made a guide to mark the new firewall location.

dscn9016.jpg

dscn9017.jpg

Added a light ply filler plate on each side of the fuselage.

dscn9018.jpg

The firewall was initial made from lightply to get a good fit, and then on each side proper 2mm ply was glued on. The firewall is glued in place with 5mm epoxy.

dscn9020.jpg

Temporary put the motor in place.

dscn9023.jpg

The status of the project so far:

dscn9026.jpg

dscn9028.jpg

Next steps:

1. build the wingroot fairings.

2. install the elevator and rudder servos.

3. prepare the control run for the elevator and rudder.

4. prepare the landing gear.

Best regards,

Edwin

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon,

After more than two busy weeks, finally an update on the Corby project. During the last days managed to work some time on the wing and control surface covering and progressed a bit on the fuselage.

First the preparation of the stitches on a piece of solartex. Simple sewed on to the material using a sewing machine. Then lightly covered with balsaloc on the 'none-glue side'. After the balsaloc is dry, strips of approx. 3mm width are cut.

dscn9192.jpg

dscn9198.jpg

The control surface covering in progress.

dscn9193.jpg

The entire wing is covered in solartex.

dscn9194.jpg

dscn9196.jpg

The stitches applied with the iron. Then a rib tape of 10 mm width solartex ironed over it. It is a bit difficult to see due to the antik solartex colour.

dscn9202.jpg

dscn9203.jpg

Best regards,

Edwin

Goodevening,

completed the stitches and tapes on the wing, ailerons, elevators and rudder.

dscn9210.jpg

The wing covering completed. The ailerons are temporary fitted (not glued) for the picture.

dscn9212.jpg

I started on the detailing of the bottom of the wing center section panels. There is not much more on the original aircraft wing except the pitot head, tie down rings and the aileron drive fairings.

dscn9213.jpg

Best regards,

Edwin

Hi Ton,

For sure. It is nice to research the model and make a decision on how much detail to add and to what level. The original Corby does not have much surface detail, so it a nice project as a step in to build and fly scale models.

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the feedback. I use different methods from real stitching to using rib stitch (double sided tape with stitches) to this method. I find that using this method works good on 1/6 to 1/4 scale models. But always on the look out for new methods. Every scale project is a new learning curve.

Best regards,

Edwin

Good evening,

made some progress on the Corby. The fuselage is covered and painted in white. I used solartex, then I gave it two coats of dope. Added the cheeks and used a bit of filler to make a smooth fairing as per the original and as well on the solartex overlapping edges. Some coats of primer which where sanded back as far as possible.

Photos will follow because I forgot to upload them.crook

Edwin

• 2 weeks later...

Goodevening,

the progress has been very slow, due to work. Well, installed the servos.

dscn9272.jpg

Started with preparring the pieces of grey carton to create the cockpit finish.

dscn9274.jpg

dscn9275.jpg

dscn9279.jpg

Enough choice of instrumentsparty......

dscn9281.jpg

The Corby instrument panel consists of two pieces. The original used a grey panel, so I used the grey carto to start with.

dscn9283.jpg

Then, I stick the seperate instruments with tape to the back of the carton.

dscn9285.jpg

After that the panel is glued on 3mm balsa. Yes...embarrassed...some glue seeped through, but luckily this is behind the center panel.

dscn9287.jpg

Glued the panels in place.

dscn9290.jpg

Added a piece of fuel tubing to the skin edge above the instrument panel. This still needs to be painted.

dscn9294.jpg

Next is add horizontal grey carton pieces against the instrument panel. On this part, I have to put some switches, communication radio and GPS. After that is painting the rest of the cockpit and add the seat.......smiley...enough to do.

Best regards,

Edwin