Diesel fuel tank

Acetone or cellulose thinner also dissolve foam.

Eric, at risk of being regarded a pedant, I would point out that the stuff is silicone, not silicon. 

Silicone is the flexible stuff, either sealant or tubing, silicon is a metalloid - a solid, shiny material which is a constituent of many aluminium alloys, bronzes and cast iron. It is also that from which computer chips are made.

Advert

Malcolm

I rememeber an excellent tutorial, devoted to the growing of silicon rods for wafer manufacture, all about long range order in the strucure. Do not know much now though. Other than i do not think it is well suited to fuel tanks.

Also remeber doing calculations on the physical size of silicon in the latice of ally. Do not remember much about that either. Well other than it inhibits the slip plane movement and is a cheap way of improving ally  (of course it depends on what improvement means).

Regarding the use of solvents, with foam. I can but deplore the very idea of wontantly abusing the environment of our beloved and fragile planet, by using solvents for such a trival purpose.  Any way i was told, that a sticky residue is left, which is more trouble than digging it out. Works well with poly formers in concrete though (if they have to be removed.

Never mind the spelling 

Erfolg

Erflog,

I reckon you must have had the same sort of metallurgical background as I had - probably mentioned that before.

As for removing polystyrene foam, I agree it's a waste of solvents which do do much harm to the environment. A hot air gun will shrink the foam to a remarkable degree and possibly make the residue easier to dispose of. There is a snag - the energy used is also contributing to environmental harm...

Back to square one and dig the stuff out by hand with whatever tool will do the job.