Galaxy Aerojet

returned to hobby beginning of year .built sas venom and wildthing but would like an electric model similar to slope soarer for when no wind .would this be agood choice and has anyone built one . its for 540 motor but every one using brushless motors and lippos these days so any help with motor and battery choice would be appreciated. thanks nigel.

Advert

Nigel, I've flown an Aerojet a couple of times years ago. It was owned by a clubmate, power was a 540 & (I think) 7 x 1400mAH sub C nicads. It was quite a nice flyer but grossly underpowered. It had to be allowed to gain some height for a couple of minutes followed by a dive to gain speed before any aerobatics could be performed. Duration was only about 4 minutes.

Another clubmate had one fitted out purely as a slope soarer. I saw him fly it a few times & it performed very well. IMO with lipos & a brushless it would make a nice sports model.

I don't know if you are aware but Galaxy went out of business recently. Have you got a kit or have you located somewhere to get one from ?

If you have I'll try some motor/battery/ESC suggestions that might be of some help.

If you can't get a kit but are able to scratch build one I can lend you a plan. The fuselage construction is shown but there's only dimensions given for the veneered foam wing.

Hi Nigel

I'm not sure if it's of interest to you but a good number of us forumites are in the process of deciding a model for the 2013 "mass build" which has become an annual feature here.

Some of the shortlisted models there would fit your brief. You could build along with many others all posting photos if that would help.

My personal preference, which isn't leading in the votes at the moment, is the Whizzza by Nigel Hawes. Having flown one, I thought at the time that it performed very much like a slope soarer.

Have a look at the mass build threads. Meanwhile here's a video of a Whizzza.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 07/10/2012 21:13:44

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nigel, I built an Aerojet about 3 years ago and fitted a brushless in runner ( I can't remember exactly what motor it was but it was about 1100-1200kv running an 8x6 prop on 3000 3s and a jeti 40amp esc... It was an extremely fast model and ran flat out for about 5 mins, the batteries got quite warm but not so hot they couldn't be handled... It was a great model until a mate crashed it for me

i have another kit downstairs... I was planning to building it soon so will be interested to see you setup !