newbie looking for advice.

Gary Turner

hey guys.

I am taking on the almighty challenge of learning to fly a heli! I have gone through a load of coaxial helis and latterly a 4 channel fixed pitch heli. All of which were mastered with relative ease.

I have made the move to collective pitch with a nano cpx and i just cant seem to keep the thing in the air!

Any tips on how to control this thing instead of over-correcting every move it makes would be greatly appreciated!!

I am not really looking at moving on to a big i.c heli and becoming the next 3d wonderpilot, but I like the idea of a micro heli to aleviate the boredom of winter (i usually fly fixed wing)

I also really like these guys doing crazy flips in their living room with a tiny heli!!

Cheers guys.

Gary

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 29/10/2012 17:14:54

Hi Gary

it would appear the mention of helicopters and all run for the hills on here

Try around 25% expo on airl/elv that should tame it down a little.The best way to get airborne is to spool up to around half throttle then give it a quick jab to jump it skyward they really don't like hovering in ground effect and will just slide sideways and fall over usually.

and if it's not too cheeky ,and you want to talk helicopters why not join. **LINK**

• 3 weeks later...

Gary... if you have not already "mastered" the nano-cpx

I just got one today and wow it is a wonderful machine

anyway

If you want a really "tame" setting you can always set the nano up to fly like a fixed pitch machine just while you get used to it. I fly in my small living room in fixed pitch mode and it is very nice compared to the crazy Blade MSRx that has a software bug in the AS3X system....

This will work on a DX6i or a DX8 but the 8 gives you three flight modes and 3 dual rate settings

On my DX8 I have the Flight mode 3 position switch to give setting 0 as fixed pitch, 1 as the normal flight mode from the manual and 2 as the stunt mode from the manual.

I have my dual rates on the Flap/Gyro swith and expo setup with three settings

0 = 50% D/R and 30% Expo on Ail / Elev and 70% D/R 30% Expo on Rudder - Very tame settings!

1 = 75% D/R and 30% Expo on Ail / Elev and 100% D/R 30% Expo on Rudder

2 = 100% D/R and 30% Expo on Ail / Elev and 100% D/R 0% Expo on Rudder

My Flight Mode 0

Throttle curve

Low - 0%
25% - 40%
50% - 60%
75% - 80%
High - 100%

Pitch curve - for fixed pitch.

Low - 80%
25% - 80%
50% - 80%
75% - 80%
High - 80%

So you can see this flight mode 0 makes the machine into a nice fixed pitch flyer and the head speed will be a bit lower in flight - it makes the heliopter fly like a smaller version of the 120SR and very tame for indoors.

I then have my Flight Modes 1 & 2 setup as per the manual with the throttle and pitch curves.
Throttle hold switch is activated.

I hope this helps

Gary, As you will find out all CP helicopters are difficult beasts to control. You do not state in your post which Tx you are using but if it is not one of the programmable types (DX6i, DX7, DX8 etc) you will not be able to change the expo and rates from the preset values, so taming the beast will not be possible.

Once you get reasonably competant the Nano is a good choice for indoors at home but do be careful where you fly it ,as a good friend of mine recently irreparably damaged the screen of his new 52" plasma TV after 'brushing it' with the blades of his MCP-x . He now has to view everything with a diagonal stripe across the centre of the screen and his wife has banished him to fly only in the garden.

Keep up the practice but stay safe.

Barry