The Perennial Question - what glider to buy?

I have both a Speedo and a X Models Whisper and I certainly wouldn't recommend either as a first sloper, nor any moudlie come to think of it.

The Speedo can be a bit hairy to fly, and as mentioned, is VERY weak around the wing seat, although this seems to depend on how lucky you are. It appears no two models are the same with some structures being stronger than others, so I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a first sloper.

I have a X Models Whisper as well and I would recommend this as a first mouldie, but not a first sloper. The Whisper is very easy to fly and very stable, which makes learning to land using CROW much easier but, as mentioned, get it wrong and repairs are that much more difficult and costly. If you were to crack or snap the fus, or a wing tip on your first flight, it could well put you off sloping completely IMO.

I began flying powered models, so I new how to fly before I turned to the slope, but after doing some research and asking lots of questions on this forum, the majortiy of people advised me to go for a foamy wing like the Wildthing, and that is what I did, and good advice it was too so, I too would recommend a foamy wing. I began with the Flying Wings Hawk, which I think cost me £35 then bought a WT. I then bought a S/H Phoenix MP Synergy before attempting a mouldie.

"Don't run before you can walk" was the advice I was given, and is what I would say to you too. Foamy wings are quite easy to fly, pretty stable, and a good learning platform.

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

Advert

i learned to fly slope on a mouldie!! and flying with a foamie will learn him nothing about landing a mouldie, CA is by his own admission a decent flyer and he is not learning to fly, yes he needs to learn how to fly slope, but seriously it is not that hard, my typhoon does not have a week fuselage, maybe some do not know how to land!!

If CA goes to a slope with an experienced slope head, as i did and chucks his luna (or other mouldie) off the cliff he will love it, the experienced slope head will show him how to land and how to approach, if a performance glider is chosen then a ballast tube is a must really, it just gives you a much more variable wind speed to fly in.

Rob i tend to tag along with Andy to the oRme or the one at preston, not been for ages.... really twtching to go !!!

Ah well, we'll have to agree to disagree on that Lee. Knowing what I know now, I certainly wouldn't have wanted to land a mouldie with crow on my maiden slope flight, no matter how much powered experience I'd had, with or without an experienced flier with me.

Anyway, I'm sure CA will weigh up the pros and cons of each and make his choice, and whatever choice he makes, I hope it goes well for him. It's always good to have another face on the slopes smile d

Btw Lee, what slopes do you fly near Preston? I take it we're talking about the Preston in Lancashire? My parents live there so I go to visit every 6 weeks or so. I went up Winter Hill a little while ago but there wasn't enough wind to keep my Speedo in the air. I'd love to chuck a plane in the car and go flying up there on a visit.

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

Edited By Steve Houghton 1 on 18/10/2012 11:58:27

hi steve mate i can drive to it b ut can't actually remember its name i live near center of manchester so yeah lancashire!! the one thing that steve can get and he will always use is the weasel evo, this he can try the slope on first with and then when confident get a cheap mouldie, i just think he might get bored with a WT after a very short while

Funny you should mention F3F addiction Tom. I've watched it and never been that enthusiastic about it. But a couple of the usual lads turned up on the slope last Saturday with proper marker flags and we set up a course and timed ourselves.

I have to say my 1st attempt was pretty pathetic at 1min 20, but that was with a 2m X Models Whisper, which is hardly a "hot" machine. My 2nd run was 1min 07 so a little better. But I found myself wanting a few more runs to get my time down and pratice anticipating the turn before the whistle blew.

Unfortunately the wind changed direction and we just lost the lift completely. But one of the guys managed 51 seconds I think with his Willow on his 1st attempt at F3F.

I can see whats coming next .......... Willow? wink 2

All,

Thanks V Much for all the info; i'll gladly and humbly take all advice.

I'll do a bit more shopping around and then, when i'm back, try and tie in with the crowd i've oftern seen flying on some of the hills in Wilts.

Until then, i'll keep ripping the sky apart with jets and warbirds; Although I will follow Lee's recommendations as well - i do think i'd get bored pretty quick with a learners style foamie glider.

Thanks all, Chris

Learners style foamie glider? teeth 2 Ok, lets see if I can make just one more attempt at this and show you how much fun you can have with a " learners style foamie glider " Take a look at the video I took over the August bank holiday 2011 on the Orme with the likes of Ian Jones and Tim Mackey there, all having a blast with " foamie gliders". wink 2 Oh, and try changing the quality to 720 for best viewing.

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 18/10/2012 20:30:01:

Learners style foamie glider? teeth 2 Ok, lets see if I can make just one more attempt at this and show you how much fun you can have with a " learners style foamie glider " Take a look at the video I took over the August bank holiday 2011 on the Orme with the likes of Ian Jones and Tim Mackey there, all having a blast with " foamie gliders". wink 2 Oh, and try changing the quality to 720 for best viewing.

Oh yes, what a day, a blast one might say!

To put it in context this is the route I've followed, foamie wing, foamie glider (not as easy to fly as the wing) and in the hangar I have a Phase 6(ish) waiting for a flight. Oh and glass fus DG1000 waiting for post maiden repairs. All seems like a natural progression to me.

Well, I've bought a Phoenix 2000 e glider, just on a whim really since it was only £48and the reviews on here have been good. I might start with this and maybe a foam wing just to practice landings at the sites i'll end up using.

I suspect once i've got landings sorted, i'll move on fairly quickly. I know you all say this is key, but TBH the difference between landing a low wing sports and a jet is quite big, so i'm used to varying the approach, speed, glide angle etc.

I've save this thread; some really useful info, advice and links.

Thanks all, even if it did get a bit heatedwink

The Phoenix is a nice model for the money and will take some punishment which I'm sure you'll enjoy. I've been thinking of getting one myself.

The thing about landings is that every slope is different. Take the model to far behind the slope and you risk running out of air and stalling. Try landing to close to the slope face and theres the possibility of rotor to contend with, which can flip the largest of models in an instant, I know from experience teeth Its a challenge getting to know each slope and each of their qualities.

Within an hour from my home I have about 15 slopes, some are dead easy to land on, others you have to walk back 100yds to get out of the rotor. On one you have to walk 100yds along the slope to a road layby, cross the road, then walk another 100yds up the slope behind in order to land, but that is exceptional but all part of the challenge of sloping.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new challenge and I look forward to hearing about your flying exploits on the Joy of Slope thread.

Here's a video of my mate Roger flying his Phoenix off the cliff at Rhossilli, S Wales. Enjoy!