Name That Model

Bob Cotsford

Can anyone identify this mystery model, or failing that how about a suitable name for it?

The background:

Last year I bought a second-hand Marabu from e-bay. When I went to collect it I came away with a sack containg three part built models, an old OPS 40 and various other antique goodies.

One model looks to be a Wot 4 clone of around 4' span, another is a cross between a jet style model and Miss Piggy, possibly ARTF or at least kit built.

The last of the three is the one that appealed most so in a bored moment I put it on the board. It came as a pair of veneered wing panels with barn door ailerons cut out and belcrank drive installed, a basic fuselage with tail and canopy attached, and the broken off fin. It looks to be either a plan or scratch build. The wings have leading and trailing edge strips under the veneer - unusual! The fuselage is 1/4" sides, 3/8" top, 1/8" rear underside, 3/8" nose underside with 1/2" triangular longerons joining the corners together. I added a 1" * 1/4" doubler across the wing seat to brace the radio bay. The motor mount was fitted but looked to be 29-35 size - think Merco 35. That was replaced with a 40 size one from the recycling box, add in a pair of rejected SLEC snakes from another project, an undercarriage set recycled from some wreck, leftover covering from previous builds, a ancient SC52 with MDS40 exhaust and voila:

mystery side view.jpg

mystery plan view.jpg

dimensions in inches are:

Wing:
Span: 55
Chord 9 3/4
Tail:
Span: 21 1/2
Chord: 6 1/2 - 4 1/2
Fuselage:
Length: 41 1/2 including rudder

Weight: 5lb 6oz of wfich 1lb 15oz is the wing!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 19/10/2012 10:19:46

It's a bit small for either of them at 55" and 35 size mount. That sort of period though from the look of it.

"Mystery?

or Miss Terry...."

i like that Ollie. I was thinking of Lazarus as I seem to have resurrected someones dead project using parts from other dead planes - maybe it should be 'Frankenstein's Revenge'?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 19/10/2012 17:32:15

Hi Bob,

Just come back from my old plans store [files] . Your model is most certain to be a version of Phil Krafts Kwik Fli 2. Plans were published April 1965 in the old US mag RCM , check out their plan No59.

There was and maybe still is, a smaller version in our own RCM&E from December 1968 a free plan, called Flea Fli at 38.75 ins 66% scale of the original size.

hope this is of some use, cheers, dejampea

I can't take credit for it Jim, I only finished it off (my way of maintaining deniability if it doesn't fly nicely).

BBC, it's actually India's flag colours, maybe I should get some Force India F1 logos printed up

force-india.jpg

- or maybe a Tata logo?

tata_logo.jpg

- Nah, that would near enough double the cost of the entire project!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 20/10/2012 10:57:17

well it flew OK, but unfortunately it acheived 4/4 deadsticks. The tank is a little low with it's centre a good inch below the carb but I didn't think it would have that drastic an effect, then after the last one I idly flicked the motor over while it was still hot - no compession to speak of. It was an old SC53 stamped '91so I suppose I've had my money's worth out of it. I had a very low hours SC40 that was in my Baronette for a few flights before I converted it to electric so I slotted that in. Since 1991 40 size crankcases have grown by 1mm in width so I had to take a dremel to the mount but it's in now.

The KFC was a fair bit nose heavy for it's maiden and had a tendency to drop a wing sharply at the stall, but the stall was at very low speed so that's manageable. Who knows, maybe if I get my finger out and balance it laterally the wing dropping can be reduced. Not bad for what it cost.

Hairy Curry? Mahatma Goolies? nah, it's the KFC now.