Bae Hawk by D. Crawford

Tack glued the torque rod blocks to the TE. I used rubber cement to attach another time, but this time it didn't hold the balsa in place. A drop of Lepage's Express glue and the blocks were in place for shaping to the wing.

Need a good read for the build too.

Jim

p1050082.jpg

Edited By Katy Purvis on 21/02/2017 13:36:55

Advert

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I decided to try making a flat stab for the model. I just wasn't sure how strong the airfoil shaped one would be built up from balsa. It needs some additional reinforcing. The original article stated the author made the original plane with a foam wing and stab. I can see that working out better. The flat stab will still have the anhedral built in.

Jim

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 22/02/2017 09:59:10

• 2 weeks later...

Stabilizer tips are added to the horizontal stabs. The rubber cement didn't hold so, I tack glue with a couple small drops of white glue. The basswood strips were glued to the trailing edges of the elevators. When dry, the elevators were planed to shape and sanded.

Jim

p1050345.jpg

Sanded to shape.

Glued parts separated from the build.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 22/02/2017 10:01:15

• 2 months later...

Not to much happening on the build lately. Planning the fuselage. I'm using a larger spinner at 2-1/4" instead of 2". Because the original model had an engine with a shorter crankshaft, I had to lengthen the nose on my build. The longer nose looked bad with the canopy moved back, so I'm placing it where it is shown on the plans, just slightly forward over t he firewall.

Jim

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 22/02/2017 10:04:01

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Well, it doesn't look like much. But it is progress better than last year. Fuselage sides are 80% complete. I had to glue 4 pieces of balsa to make the sides as per plan. Each fuselage side is approximately 7" X 42" length. Still have to cut out the section for the airfoil profile and match side the sides together. I'm cutting one side complete than using it to outline the opposite side. i'll be making parts (bulkheads), most of the week.

While I did construct a flat horz. stab., I may have a go again at the airfoil stab except, I'll try foam cutting it this time once my new charger comes in this week. A Turnigy Reaktor with a Foam cut option. My home made foam cut power source is blowing fuses for some reason and I needed a new charger anyways.

Jim

img_1073.jpg

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 22/02/2017 10:07:25

• 3 weeks later...

Plugging away at the fuselage. The triangular supports are in place. The main plywood formers are cut. Just have to cut the tail section for the horizontal stabilizer. I'm going to try to make it per plan again. The first tryout didn't work out, so I have a backup flat stab complete. The top 1/4 has been wetted and formed around the fuselage profile.

img_1093.jpg

The top triangular section were added.

img_1098.jpg

The 1/4" sheet top was wetted and formed and pinned to the fuselage sides.

img_1115.jpg

Checking the fit of the main formers, sanding to as necessary. Need to work on the firewall and stab before gluing the main formers into place.

Jim

Edited By Jim Purcha on 28/01/2016 04:43:19

Edited By Jim Purcha on 28/01/2016 04:55:25

Edited By Katy Purvis on 21/02/2017 13:44:49

• 2 weeks later...

I going to make the stabilizer out of foam. My home made foam cutter was on the fritz and I needed a new charger. I had originaly purchased a Turnigy Reaktor 250Watt unit, a copy of the Icharger 106B+ unit that Mike Seale was using on his Blue Angel and Atlas builds. I found out the hard way the foam cut function did not operate. So after a refund and a sale. I found a Icharger 106B+ from a battery company in Mississauga, ON. It shipped Wednesday, processed through Canada Post Winnipeg Friday afternoon 5:17pm . It was delivered to my workplace on Monday at 9:00 AM.

First tryout to cut foam. 12volts and 2.0 amps. The Icharger in foam cut mode functioned perfectly. Now for the stab.

Jim

img_1141.jpg

Edited By Jim Purcha on 09/02/2016 05:07:42

Edited By Katy Purvis on 21/02/2017 13:45:45

Well I cut my first block of foam tonight. It wasn't too hard to cut the block the proper size for the stabilizer plan view. The airfoil shape was more interesting.

Cutting a foam stabilizer for the first time. It seems to be going not too bad. Ok the first core wasn't too bad. The second one has to be redone. The wire caught on the nail holding the template in place. The foam I got from clean up of construction sights. There are some small voids in the foam. But I think it will do for the stabilizer. I would get better foam for a wing.

My template material has to change too. I used basswood. It sanded easly, but it burns also if the wire is stopped for too long while cutting.

I'll have to practice more to try some wings in the spring.

Jim

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 22/02/2017 10:15:00

Jim,

I've been following your build with interest as I have the same plan tucked away in my 'to do' pile. Having recently started cutting foam myself, for my PSS Zlin 526, I am interested in how you get on, and any details or pitfalls that you come across. My first attempts had many ripples in the surface, where I hadn't moved the cutter fast enough, but these were to be covered over in balsa so I didn't worry too much.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Steve, I have a slight ripple on the first side I cut and some voids from the nails. It only got worse with the second side.face 18 The nail I used to tack the template in place was off center and snagged the wire while cutting. I'll be recutting this later today. It a holiday, so I have some extra time to build. smiley

Still encouraged to keep on practicing this method. I have other planes I would like to build with foam wings.

Jim

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 22/02/2017 10:16:19

The only pitfalls so far were the following:

-The profile for the foam wing root and tip airfoils are the same thickness as the fully sheeted cross section shown for the balsa ribs.

-The wing is built upside down and flat. It's in the article but not on the plans.

-The exact cut out for the stabilizer is not shown on the drawing. Only the position of the horizontal stab at the center.

-The 2" spinner is not available any longer. I changed it to 2-1/4" spinner. The nose area looks tight and small. The landing gear nose leg might have to go on the back side of the firewall. Unless you can find a engine mount which has holes for the leg predrilled.

Jim

Jim,

I sympathise with you regarding the template nails protruding through the cutting surface. I have now started viewing the foam blank from the front as I insert the pins holding the templates at either side, to try to ensure they won't foul the cutting bow.

I'm often amazed at the inaccuracy of wing rib profiles on plans. On my Zlin 526 plan, there are three different views of the root and tip ribs, and they are all different lengths! A bit of lateral thinking is needed to identify the correct one, or to amalgamate several.

Your tailplane cores are looking good.

LE and TE added to the stabilizer panels. Stab tips constructed of 1/16" plywood sandwiched between balsa and glued in place. Anhedral angle beveled in panels using dremel sanding disc. An use elevator fabricated a couple of years ago.Stab position cut out in fuselage tail sides.

Jim

img_1176.jpg

img_1178.jpg

img_1177 (2).jpg

Edited By Katy Purvis on 21/02/2017 13:50:50

Finally got the F3 and F5 Bulkheads installed. Usually this is an easy task, but these were different widths, so the fuselage tapers from the wing LE to the TE. At least an equal diagonal measurement gives some assurance the fuselage is straight.

The 1 inch tristock had to be notched along the top for the fuselage sides to bend to the final dimension. Un restrained, the width is 3.75 inches and has to be pulled in to 3.25 inches.

Jim

How do you rotate a photo on this website.

img_1190.jpg

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 22/02/2017 10:21:00