T- Rex 450 XL

Alan B

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z220/AlanB7/P1060178.jpg

Hi

Mainly on the forum there have been some good video's with the fly Cams mounted on aeroplanes and with the usual problems discussed on the other threads.

I thought I would give it a go today on my T- Rex.  Basically I wanted to see if there were any vibration problems. As I remember Timbo commenting he did'nt get good results on his heli with his Flycam One

Well I had the usual problem the recording stopped by itself after 3 minutes 40 seconds. The temp was cold about 5 degrees and the visibility was good and a moderate breeze. (A bit cold on the old Fingers!)

When flying it was a little bit of a struggle to keep the heli steady I dont know if it was the camera positon affecting it or the breeze. I will give it a go again on a calm day. Im going to give it another go on my Raptor 50 when I get chance.

I have made a video (link below) I dont no what to make of it really as far as the image quality is concerned. However it is doing the usually things ie switching itself off etc. In general I think the build quality is poor and for the money I think its pretty naff! I have used a Tevion 1Gb SD memory card purchased from Aldi at £5.99 if that has any bearing on the subject of quality.

Well have a look at the video and see what you think. Perhaps its only good on slope soarers and general planes.

Al

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_NYsRJ0m5f0

Advert

With regards to to the Image quality above I have instantly improved it ! My close up vision is not very good. I have discovered with the aid of some very strong glasses  and when it started to lift slightly,  that there was a circle of protective film over the lens and over the digital read out strip which has now been removed! AAAARRRRGGGHHHH !  Am I the only one!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Tried a 2nd test having removed the protective plastic film found in general it is better to put your cam in your pocket and keep it warm and mount it at the last minute in this weather. The Jury is still out on this one as far as quality is concerned.  I suppose the faster you go - the wind chill kills the recording time quicker.  Temp 10 c  flight 5 min camera was still recording.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qhLh3MAjOVQ

I have also tried it for the the first on a Airplane - on my Multiplex Acromaster. Temp 11 c flight 8+ min camera was still recording

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=by-xEpaKEoI

In conclusion I personally think it works better on Airplanes than Helis due to the vibration.  Although I have not tried it on nitro Aircraft yet.

Al 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Alen.

That was a lot better than a lot of the vid that I see on the tube, as for the image quality these little cams are fixed focus are they not, so like the phone cams you get what you get good on you for giving use this in site to your flying in the cold, what I would like to now is how you get of so quickly on long grass, as all I ever seam to do is a lot of strimming and mowing.

Hi Owen

Thank you for your comments.  I did a little unintentional mowing myself with the REX last week.  It is now in dry dock.  For the first time in a long time - I got disorientated and went in hard    Took out the U/C - tail fin - trashed the pitch servo and the web cam. Regards the cam - may it RIP !!

Actually the grass isn't that long - probably about one and a half inches long - it appears longer due to the position of the Cam. However it is the normally  the tail rotor that will strim the grass. What I normally do is to sit the heli on a bump in the ground leaning slightly forward - so that the nose is slightly down and the tail higher to clear the grass.

Happy strimming/mowing - sorry  -  Hovering

Al

Hi Alen.

On the Walkera 60 the tail rotor seaes so close to the ground that I have been tempted to put some spacers on the top of the under carraige to get the tail further away from the ground wether this would make it more prone to tipping over I have no idear but may be its werth a go.

happy building Owen.