Kilma foam board from Screwfix

Chuck Plains

Advert

It is called KLIMA FOAM.

That is why you can't find it.

Owing to Screwfix not stocking the stuff, somehow I found these bods in 2014.

Klima Underfloor Heating, Karelia House, Kenmore Rd, ABERFELDY in bonnie Scotland PH5 2LS

Contact in 2014 was Jamie PRINGLE [email protected] 0871 3210411

Free freight on orders over £50, so I ordered 2 boxes.

Sadly what arrived was a different brew, and the pale blue Depron-y stuff we know and love is long gone.

Dark green, very soft and pleasantly supple, most definitely a cousin of that 'Oasis' foam (that stuff ladies stick stems of flowers into ..)

If you look at Robertus' X-Shuttle on RC Groups, YouTube and others, that was what he used on some builds.

I've half-built an enlarged X-Shuttle from the stuff and contemplating applying laminating film to reduce 'grass rash'. The flex allows the nose to roll to correct shape. Methinks it would be a fight with more rigid 5mm depron.

So it's 'horses for courses', as they say .. ..

On a visit to a large B&Q recently, I found a bundle of white 3mm sheets in the underfloor insulation section.

Imagining it was of the 'Fanfold' family, I tucked it under the wife's arm so that she would have to pay for it.

74p for a 10,5 mm square pine stick there, too .. just the job for those red alloy motor mounts or a plastic one.

Sounds like a 'Slow Stick', or a DaveReap 'Birdy' is in the flux .. All these ideas,so little time ..

Hope this helps.

jmb

Building super shed top priority. Aviation builds in limbo, too much junk.

Visits shed .. .. finds sheets still in cellophane wrapper. No name.

20x 500x700 3mm individual white sheets. No decidedly glossy side as per depron.

Label says 86285 SKU 677000001-0 sounds a bit Chinese to me .. ..

Sorry, chaps .. .. Just checked H-K ( wash your mouth out with soap ) and it is from there.

That stuff looks good!

A couple of years ago, I bought Blue Foam in large thin slices off a block from Hampshire Insultions at Marwell, Winchester Hants. They are a few hundred yards further along the lane from the entrance to the Marwell Zoo.

Hampshire Insulations : Expanded Polystyrene in the UK

This material is light and I would say slightly more rigid than Depron, It glues together well and if you search for Blu Baby on YouTube look at the build log by mr.michael.2468 . A whole blue world is to be discovered.

Always try adhesives on a scrap of material otherwise you might end up making ' glue soup ' instead of something flyable. Use blue 'painters tape' or modelling pins to line up parts and while adhesives cure. POR good but pricey.

There are guys in our club who are building absolute beauties in balsa and you can certainly get remarkable shapes and detail with carving blue foam, but for a not-too-fussy cheap get it in the air quick won't have a heart attack if it prangs type of build, these materials are the business.

jmb

Posted by jmb049 on 30/07/2016 16:37:28:

It is called KLIMA FOAM.

That is why you can't find it.

Owing to Screwfix not stocking the stuff, somehow I found these bods in 2014.

Klima Underfloor Heating, Karelia House, Kenmore Rd, ABERFELDY in bonnie Scotland PH5 2LS

Contact in 2014 was Jamie PRINGLE [email protected] 0871 3210411

Free freight on orders over £50, so I ordered 2 boxes.

Sadly what arrived was a different brew, and the pale blue Depron-y stuff we know and love is long gone.

Dark green, very soft and pleasantly supple, most definitely a cousin of that 'Oasis' foam (that stuff ladies stick stems of flowers into ..)

If you look at Robertus' X-Shuttle on RC Groups, YouTube and others, that was what he used on some builds.

I've half-built an enlarged X-Shuttle from the stuff and contemplating applying laminating film to reduce 'grass rash'. The flex allows the nose to roll to correct shape. Methinks it would be a fight with more rigid 5mm depron.

So it's 'horses for courses', as they say .. ..

On a visit to a large B&Q recently, I found a bundle of white 3mm sheets in the underfloor insulation section.

Imagining it was of the 'Fanfold' family, I tucked it under the wife's arm so that she would have to pay for it.

74p for a 10,5 mm square pine stick there, too .. just the job for those red alloy motor mounts or a plastic one.

Sounds like a 'Slow Stick', or a DaveReap 'Birdy' is in the flux .. All these ideas,so little time ..

Hope this helps.

jmb

Google searches aren't case sensitive by the way and I always separate the 'foam' and 'board'. As far as I can tell, the Kilma foam stuff is actually in Poland. But I might drop Jamie an email when I'm close to running out of th alternatives I bought recently. That 5mm dark green stuff Vitrex Premier Underlay Board that you mentioned, and I already bought 2 weeks ago, doesn't have the words 'foam' or even 'insulation in it's name. So I only found it when I went into Screwfix to ask about the Kilma stuff showing not in stock. It's very cheap mind, 19 sheets for £18 !!! (kind of a bummer though, if you started laying a floor and then found you couldn't get the same thickness insulation when you need some extra!)

I haven't started using the new stuff yet.

This one looks interesting, but it has a 'ribbed' surface.

floormaker.co.uk

Wikes have it, but don't show an image. I might go and check it out. (it might be green or black apparently.)