advice required with technical problem - super cub

nkg197

Hi, i'm looking for a bit of advice - i'm new to this forum, so if there is a better section for this sort of query then please let me know and i'll repost it there!

I have a hobby zone super cub which is about 3-4 years old. I flew it several times when new, without any problems and don't recall it ever having any major incidents!

It hadnt been touched for about 3 years (stored in a garage which was probably slightly damp over the winters) until i got it out again recently to show my kids. On first inspection, everything seemed ok - radio gear responed correctly and the motor ran.

However when we went to fly it, the motor ran up to full speed for about 30 seconds and then stopped. It would then respond to each subsequent throttle increase for about 1 second before stopping again. The control surfaces still responded to the controller.

I self diagnosed a faulty battery, but a brand new replacement is suffering in the same way so the discharge is obviously being caused elsewhere in the circuitry.

I know that it is only a cheap plane, but i'd rather not ditch it if possible. Does anyone have any clues or suggestions please?

I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron etc, so would be happy to attempt any repair.

many thanks

Neil

Advert

Hi Neil , Not sure what it could be, if i'm correct the receiver and esc are one unit? If so i'm sure i have one sitting somewhere, if i find it i will send it and a matching transmitter to you for free, theres not much point opening up the original though a quick glimpse over them wouldnt do any harm, initial reading really suggested the battery, i have bought dud ni-cd's in the past,

Good luck and i'll have a look in workshop tonight,

Scott

As Scott says, the battery (condition) seems the most likely cause (the low voltage cut-off would probably act this way) - have you checked the charger isn't faulty? Did you fully charge the new battery pack?

If it has nickel based cells, was it stored with the battery still connected in the slightly damp garage?  You may be suffering from "black wire corrosion" which will migrate from the battery leads through any switches and eventually to the circuit boards.  The copper wire will have a black crumbly appearance under the insulation. The only cure is to replace any corroded wiring or components (e.g. switches, PCBs) if there's any evidence of this.

Edited By Martin Harris on 15/11/2012 10:15:07

Thanks guys

the battery was stored separately, disconnected from the plane, but it was also in the damp garage.

The new battery is brand new, and it seems like too much of a big coincidence for it to be faulty in exactly the same way as the old one. The charger seems to work fine, and the new battery was fully charged before use.

I'm away from home this week, but when I get home i'll have a closer look at the insides of it for any obvious corrosion.

Scott - that would be great if you do have something - many thanks

Neil