Turnigy aerodrive B2835-3900 changing shafts

ross blackwell

Advert

Thanks for the suggestion Hamish mate but my motor does not have a circlip or grubscrew : I also have aerodrive B2445-2900 & that mtr also does not have any obvious way of removing shaft? What I wish to do is use longer shaft so that I can move mtr rearward to move Cof G back a bit. I could buy another mtr with longer shaft if I knew of one.

Posted by ross blackwell on 29/11/2012 21:18:55:
What I wish to do is use longer shaft so that I can move mtr rearward to move Cof G back a bit. I could buy another mtr with longer shaft if I knew of one.

The problem with using a longer shaft for that purpose, Ross, is that any imbalance in the prop is likely to result in a bent shaft at the slightest opportunity., together with the asociated mayhem. The shaft diameter will have been designed to cope with normal loads and that wouldn't include an extended prop shaft.

If adding weight to the rear isn't an option, how about moving the battery, servos or Rx rearwards - or find a lighter motor to give you a similar output.

Can you tell us a bit more about the model, setup etc?

Pete

Its a fibreglass fuse with built up wings from H K (called the "Fox". Battery is already over the present CofG & ther's only a micro servo to move back & the esc is just in front of the batt. Wingspan is 1500mm. Nice looking model which hasn't been flown yet but I figure doing something in the "motor area" would be the most straight forward: my plan was fitting a shaft 10mm. longer as I have plenty of 1/8th. piano wire in stock.

I have little experience of inrunners, Ross, but that motor seems quite inappropriate for the HK Fox. The Kv is much too high and would need a tiny prop such as is suggested in this chart.

I think you would be better to fit something like this 2836 1040Kv which unfortunately is on backorder at present, but would give you power to spare - ideally you should be aiming for 200-250W which will give you bags of performance. A 10x6 prop would make this a rocket ship, I suspect!

Giantshark have this KD 2217-20T which should be fine.

A lower-spec alternative, which is in stock, is this D2830/11 1000Kv would still give you enough power, perhaps with a 9x6 prop, for most purposes. A 30A ESC should be fine for either motor.

I have the ST Models Fox and it goes just where it is pointed, so I'd recommend plenty of expo on the ailerons and elevator to calm down the twitchiness, on early flights at least.

This video review has some useful information, apart from the fact that he is using a heli motor which again has a high Kv, needing a smaller prop. Depends how you want to fly it, I suppose.

There is a thread about shaft removal on your motor here, which may be of some help.

Pete

Edited By Pete B on 30/11/2012 10:03:38

• 3 months later...