Club Membership PC Program

Craig Carr

Thought I'd add a cautionary note to this thread. Personally, I wouldn't use this program on a laptop on subs night - the program can print a purposed-designed listing for this. One tick per paying member on the listing at the meeting, then update the database at home.

The program saves changes in memory then updates the disk file when you exit. So, if something goes wrong at the subs meeting (laptop crashes, flat battery, some kind of bug) you could be left with a pile of cash and no record of who gave you it. It's not likely, but it's not a risk I'd take.

Max

Advert

Good point FunnyFlyer

The UK data protection act will apply to the storage of club members data, but this applies if storage is on paper or electronic means.

The act states you should:

"Encrypt any personal information held electronically that would cause damage or distress if it were lost or stolen."

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/security_measures.aspx

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 22/01/2013 11:42:41

Its a while since I looked at DPA but from what I recall "not for profit" organisations (such as clubs and societies who usually work to that) are exempt from the requirement to register/notify

But are still required to maintain the principles of the data protection act (security of records; used for only purposes required to undertake the administration etc etc etc)

So essentially as long as club administrators:-

• use the data for conducting club business;
  • don't give out members personal details out to all and sundry;
  • keep their systems secure,

I personally wouldn't worry provided you work to the above.

Edited By Craig Carr on 22/01/2013 12:02:45

Any data protection issues would apply to ordinary spreadsheets as well, I believe. If anyone using my program wants to discuss a password option, please get in touch. But I have been through the situation in a small firm where the only person who knew the payroll password had a sudden stroke, so I'm a bit wary.

Max