"Your wing has gone!"

Major

Hi all.

A few days back I went with my family to the park, just to have some flying with my Spit. Everything seemed to be ok, I did pre-flight checks incl radio, I was just ready. After standard launch I noticed no reactions to elevator in either direction, so slightly tail-heavy Spit went vertically upwards, then did very tight loop. As I had some control with ailerons, rudder and throttle, I managed to land safely.

Once more, I checked movement of controls - everything was ok (??) so launched her once more. And again, no elevator at all (by the way, it was so valuable experience - nobody injured and I was able to control the plane), I did about two circles and then it happened. Wing decided to detach from the model, fuselage went like unguided rocket into the ground. That's how it looked seconds after landing

img00285.jpg

img00286.jpg

img00287.jpg

img00289.jpg

img00294.jpg

The damages ...

Wing:

* the plastic part which held the wing in place broken and cracked

* servo wires cut the surface of the wing, causing quite big holes

* one underwing air intake detached (another one went off at home)

Fuselage

* cracked spinner

* cracked motor mount

* loose firewall

* broken battery hatch in two pieces

* magnet detached

* rudder as well

* fuselage broken into three pieces, everything wrinkled and wrapped, with huge amounts of soil

* most of the electronics outside

* connector's insulations cracked (!)

* top of the rudder damaged

* cracked and chipped cowl

I was totally supprised, as well as my lady - after remains of my Spit hit the ground, she shouted "Your wing has gone!! Like it hit some wires in the air!! smiley ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

At first I checked lipo and Rx, seemed to be ok, so looked onto the rest... Didn't want to take it back home, but my very dissappointed kids (I promissed them some flying together) didn't want to bin it. In the end, we packed everything onto the pram and went back home.

I don't know what was the cause - I can cut off the dearest part of my body, but won't tell that something was wrong with the model. Plane was not in use for a while, so I checked everything before we set off and once more just before flight (but in both cases didn't take wing off, and few times I found my son playing with it...). Anyway - I am happy that no people were hurt (I always fly when there is nobody close to me or to flight path), but felt somewhat awful... So once more - photo just after crash

img00286.jpg

and another after few hours in workshop

p041212_0134.jpg

Of course model was painted to cover its scars..

p041212_0324.jpg

p041212_0225.jpg

Edited By Major on 05/12/2012 03:13:06

Advert

This took me in total about three hours, the biggest challenge was to remove the soil from the model and to fix the fuselage, the rest was "easy like Sunday morning". Spit is a bit heavier now - thanks to epoxy and cocktail sticks, ballances as same as before crash. On the closer look it is a monster, but honestly - I didn't pay too much attention just to the look itself - I wanted to make it rock solid and flyable, and I think I did. Maiden flight will take place on Saturdaydevil ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Another lesson under the belt - always pay attention to checks, and check everythingcheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..

Best regards

Tom

I suspect there was a split in the epo where the wing attaches, ive had this before, on the ground you cant see it unless you where to manually bend the fuselage, all the controls would work fine bt when you launch thats when all the from youre motor would twist the fuselage causing no elevator control, when you where trying to move the elevator you where probably stretching split more and more , eventually boom the wings away, it happens since theres alot of strain put on the wings during belly landings, eventualy the foam/epo ect starts to become weak, i today was flying my z foam albatross and noticed it oscilating badly, i landed and everything seemed ok, when i threw it again i noticed the bottom wing move so landed straight away, the foam had cracked all the way round where the bottom wing joins!!! same again though, i belly land the albatross so its something that should always be examined before and after each flight, hopefully it didnt cost you too much to fix, post some pics of her flying again, i'm rebuilding my crashed t34 just now, though 13inches shorter, im calling it the stubby t34 ,

regards,

Scott

Hi Scott!

Thanks for pointing the problem out, from now on I'm gonna be more aware. It didn't cost me much to fix her - about 2.50 (two packs of epoxy in it, and very few drops of foam safe CA). Paints used are from Revell and Army Painter, have them for ages now, so don't count them in.

Whatever the cause was - now she is fixed and if weather allows, I'll fly her again very soon. Mind You, it was not her first crash, she is veterancheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. Took awful lot of abuse, I chose her to be my first-serious-trainer after some small wooden toys (Sharkfacecheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.). And even if she is crashed beyond any repair - will remain flying. How long for - it depends just on how hard can I throw the bag with pieceswink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..

Stubby T34 - I like that namecheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.. Good luck with repair.

Regards

Tom

Bob

I dont know how to explain this... but I did!! I switched Optic into range test mode, walked more than 30 meters away, and my lady was holding Spit during the test... motor spinning full chat, all controls moving at once.. and I have been told everything is ok... unless she is blindcheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page..