The best OSD with RTH

I currently have easy OSD fitted but it doesn't have RTH. I want to upgrade to an OSD with RTH. I'm looking for something as compact as possible and using as few radio channels as possible.

I've looked at the nova but there is no throttle control, just ailerons and elevator, so I don't see how it can gain or lose altitude. I also don't know how many radio channels it uses.

Any suggestions?

John.

Advert

Thanks John, I spotted this one too but it seems to be permanently out of stock.

I've seen Hornet OSD but it's quite expensive with the FY-31 AUTOPILOT which is needed for RTH.

One worrying factor is that some of these RTH OSD's use the failsafe to set the throttle at full (or a percentage) so when you get out of range (or flick the assigned switch) failsafe provides the throttle and the unit controls the Aileron and elevator.

This is fine under normal circumstances but it means that if you inadvertently switch off the Tx on the ground before the Rx the motor fires up. Very dangerous.

Posted by John Sheehy on 14/12/2012 15:59:42:

Thanks John, I spotted this one too but it seems to be permanently out of stock.

I've seen Hornet OSD but it's quite expensive with the FY-31 AUTOPILOT which is needed for RTH.

One worrying factor is that some of these RTH OSD's use the failsafe to set the throttle at full (or a percentage) so when you get out of range (or flick the assigned switch) failsafe provides the throttle and the unit controls the Aileron and elevator.

This is fine under normal circumstances but it means that if you inadvertently switch off the Tx on the ground before the Rx the motor fires up. Very dangerous.

Hi John, i have dedicated fpv's one uses Nova osd and the other a fantastic Eagle tree OSD PRO which has been superb even at long range, i could message you more details if it helps as i dont like to share too much of my FPV flying adventures publicly, (great viewing with the family though haha) Have a look at this link from heliguy, ive used them a few time in the past and have been great **LINK**

regards,

Scott

Hi Scott,

I did look into OSD Pro but I was never sure what I needed or what I was buying. I don't know what an OSD expander is, Is that an expander for an OSD unit or is that the unit? Then there are the various plug in units for different functions. I don't know how much space they all take, how many channels I need to set aside or how much the final bill would be. Any help on these questions would be helpful.

Do feel free to message me if you prefer.

As to the suggestion that I buy from USA, I bought a motor from theUSA about 6 months ago and the US customs took more than the dealer. They took the duty and then charged me £8 for doing it. I don't shop from the USA for that reason.

I guess it's not too early to wish everyone seasonal greetings.

John.

Imports: if you buy from outside the Eu then you are liable for import-VAT. Parcels of total-contents value under £15 are exempt (the rules for gifts are different). You may also be liable for Import Duty, but I have never paid this.

The international-standard customs form on the outside of the parcel requires the sender to state the value. You then pay the VAT as 20% of this. Royal Mail collect the money, and charge £7 for that service.