HELP!! I need some Servo HELP!

Martyn Harvey

I have several servos with some teeth missing. But I want to know how to turn a servo in to an electric motor, how to attach it to a receiver, and how to transmit the drive from the servo to another item such as a winding mechanism for retracts. How do I turn off the motor when it has reached its full travel, and so on.     

I know there is someone out there who knows.

But I don,t and I want to find out, so we can all share the good news on what to do with servos with no teeth, apart from getting a new set of teeth from the Shop, or throwing it in the bin.

If the advice is -- get a decent motor drive, please tell me where, as I am a very long way from the Shop, and the shops I have spoken to don't have small electric motors.

Many thanks to all you nice people,  Martyn Harvey,  Orkney

Advert

If you just leave all the gears out, the motor will continue to turn and not stop due it not being geared to the feedback potentiometer. Without such a "connection" the motor effectively has no such thing as "full travel"

As for using a broken servo to operate winding gear for retracts...I doubt it would suffice, as they usually require high torque affairs, and most major brands offer dedicated retract servos which are non proportional. 

Wonderful responses, and thank you all very much.

I will get some gear sets next time I call INWOOD MODELS, and build up the servos which I want to replace, and then use them in low- effort places, or if my beautiful Wife has anything to do with it, I shall place them hurriedly in the BIN.

I fully accept your point on the low cost of servos and will get a proper retract servo when I next need one!

And thanks again for your prompt replies. It has give me a thought for my next letter to Big Dave

Martyn