MORE HELP PLEASE!

Gentlemen,

I've had great advice here before, so I hope some of you may come up with the answers again...

I've just graduated from a PZ Radian to the Radian Pro, and just completed my first successful "aileron" session (3 flights).

I'm using the ESC supplied with the Radian Pro and a PZ battery, with a Spektrum AR500 Rx.

When I plug in the battery, either the Rx or the ESC is emitting a whistle, which continues all through the flights, until I unplug the battery. This probably should mean something. I know the battery isn't low, and I know the Rx is properly bound (I've had 3 longish flights going pretty high).

So why is the Rx or ESC whistling, while performance seems normal?

Second question: my PZ battery is labelled to be charged through the white "balancing" plug, but I'm using a Ripmax charger that charges through the power leads, with the white plug plugged into a balancing board. Is this of any importance?

Finally, as the plane was very slightly tail heavy, I'm using a 3S 1800 mAh battery instead of the specified 1300 mAh. Can this have any unforeseen consequence for the ignorant git that I am?

Happy New Year!

Brian

Advert

brokenenglish

As long as you have the balance plug connected to the charger as well as the power leads the charger will do the rest.

The whine is probably coming from the ESC. Some are much worse than others particularly those with a switch mode BEC.

My son came in from another room and said "what's that whine?" but my old ears couldn't hear a thing!

Simon Thanks a lot.

Your description sounds exactly like what I'm getting.

Apologies to all for the duplicate postings. I'm out in the sticks with a very poor and intermittent Internet. Sometimes it's difficult to know whether the "send" has actually worked or not. I'll do my best to delete. Sorry!

Brian

My thoughts

When I plug in the battery, either the Rx or the ESC is emitting a whistle, which continues all through the flights, until I unplug the battery. This probably should mean something. I know the battery isn't low, and I know the Rx is properly bound (I've had 3 longish flights going pretty high).

ANSWER: Its most likely to be the ESC. How loud is it? Is it a constant tone? If it is and all is working fine I wouldn't worry too much!

There is one other possibility. Was the plane new? If not, has it been upgraded? You havn't got a digital servo or two in there have you? Some of them make a sort of constant whistle/whine and it can be quite loud.

Second question: my PZ battery is labelled to be charged through the white "balancing" plug, but I'm using a Ripmax charger that charges through the power leads, with the white plug plugged into a balancing board. Is this of any importance?

ANSWER: Not a problem. You are balance charging I take it? Some chargers have two settings: "Lipo Charge" and "Lipo Balance Charge." Best to use the second if that's the case.

Finally, as the plane was very slightly tail heavy, I'm using a 3S 1800 mAh battery instead of the specified 1300 mAh. Can this have any unforeseen consequence for the ignorant git that I am?

ANSWER: It probably means that your flights can be longer! On the other hand the glider is slightly heavier and that might slighly decrease soaring ability. No real issues with using a slightly larger battery.