On a whim, i bought a Cox warbirds Spitfire for a bit of chuck it around the park fun, since it was only £15 from Amazon.

Its quite a nice little kit, but designed for brushed motors and NIMH 7.2v packs. I'm considering converting to brushless and 2s lipo. Has anyone built one?

Advert

Well, i've built it (assembled it!). I managed to fit a 20C 2S 500mah Lipo into the space where an NIMH used to fit, obviously a bigger capacity than the 250mah NIMH, but less weight.

This drives the brushed 130 motor via a 20A brushed ESC. I used the kits switch and charge board and soldered the ESC and lipo on (lipo through a JST connector (just in case). Work a treat.

The lipo, like everything else in non removable once inside the airframe, but it can be charged through the charge board and the balance lead can be accessed when the wing in removed.

All checked and ready to go, just need the weather to oblige now. Feels like it will have plenty of power and duration. I know the brushed motor and prop supposedly pulls max 3A, so i'm hoping for a good 10 min combined flight between charges. Now just tips over 4.5 oz. AUW, so should be OK on 30-35 Watts.

Edited By Christian Ackroyd on 06/01/2013 15:36:52