The Wot-4 Electric Foamie Ailerons

Colin Naylar

I have just bought a Wot4 electric foamie and successfully maiden'd it yesterday. I see that the ailerons are linked with a Y lead and intended presumably to be driven from one channel of the rx. I noticed while flying that there was considerably height loss on the turns and as this is my first completely symetrical section wing, I wondered whether I should dispense with the Y lead and input differential control on the ailerons ie with less downward travel than upward. I then thought on and pondered that in inverted flight the height loss effect might be even more pronounced - any expert opinions out there please before I commit? Thanks.

Advert

if it's losing height in turns use more up elevator! The need for differential is shown by the model dragging the wing with the down aileron (the upgoing wing), ie it's tail can hang low when initiating a turn, or in continuous rolls it will not be rolling along the fuselage axis. I wouldn't worry on something as aerodynamically challenged as a Wot4 foamie.

I set up my Wot 4 foam-e with separate ailerons and put the Y-lead in the spares box and I would definitely recommend this way of doing things. I have set the model up with differential and flaperons (not that it needs them but might as well use the facility). With a servo in each wing, I can't see any reason NOT to set the model up this way, unless someone has a receiver with only four outputs. I haven't tried flying the model with the Y-lead fitted as supplied, so I can't say with any certainty whether my set up represents any actual improvement but does at least allow an opportunity for tinkering.

I also got rid of the Y lead, firstly because the aileron servos weren't quite set central and I didn't want to try and remove the servos covers as I thought it would cause more damage, so one servo per channel allowed be to adjust them independently. Secondly I thought I'd have a go with flaperons.