This quarter's BMFA news

Erfolg

Posted by Matt Jones on 15/07/2015 20:08:00:

Good grief, I've just thumbed through the latest copy. Page 40, picture in the top left, is that really someone flying a heli indoors in a confined space with a load of children just a few feet away? Is there some safety netting that doesn't show up in the photo? It looks like the most wreckless and unsafe thing I've seen in a long time, utter stupidity. What would have happened if a ball link came off the swashplate? How can the BMFA preach safety and condone this?

Well, I REALLY hope it was "wreckless"....................

Possibly foreshortened by the lens used, but clearly something THAT large and powerful, well!!

BTW I have flown up to a 600 scale indoors, 500's quite regularly, but in isolated secure areas which cannot be intruded unexpectedly, and as needed with "cricket" catch netting, etc. Certainly not with ANY direct impact possibility with others, esp kids.

I run an RC club within a school, have done for over eight years, and there a low head speed 250 is the max EVER flown, and Hubsan X4 Quads and JP Twister Sports the norm!!

Advert

One side-effect of publishing any death or injury caused by or during flying models , irrespective of the reason for publishing, is that it puts this damaging information back into the public domain.

All it needs is a bored newspaper editor, tweeter or alike to pick up on the story and hey presto!! , the story is rebadged, polished and sent out as a disaster/tragedy. Our politicians love a good knee jerk banning order!

I would expect these issues to be circulated through minutes and club only correspondence so its intended recipients are known.

I think we should just ban gliding and do away with the risk all together…...

Seriously, it doesn't look good in the publics eye to see news of injuries or worse coming from what it a sedate hobby. It gives those with an axe to grind , ammunition to restrict our hobby or deny us use of a site . I know one club in Devon told a planning dept the news of a death in the hobby to show ( in their eyes) the hobby was overall very safe. it had the reverse affect and made the planners jittery.

In short, don't wash your dirties in public.

I sat down with the BMFA mag in the sunshine yesterday afternoon and with time on my hands, read it from cover to cover. Despite my reservations previously aired here, it's actually a good publication that obviously takes time and effort to put together and I enjoyed the material therein.

I still think that publishing and posting hard copy is wasteful in this day and age (I've read my copy, it'll end up in the paper recycling next week) so with a change to an on-line only version, what it also needs are contributions from younger aeromodellers (i.e anyone under 60!laugh). Easier said than done, but what I find entertaining will just be cat tray lining for the younger Ipad/ tablet owning crowd, who never pick up a newspaper, much less our house mag.

BTW, still waiting for the mag to appear as HIGNFY's publication of the week!!

Edited By Cuban8 on 17/07/2015 11:05:36

C8, rather than binnig your copy drop it in at the local doctor or dentists waiting room, might just get someone interested and it's definetly a better read than a 2 year old copy of country life or womens own mag.

A.

Posted by AJ on 17/07/2015 11:35:03:

C8, rather than binnig your copy drop it in at the local doctor or dentists waiting room, might just get someone interested and it's definetly a better read than a 2 year old copy of country life or womens own mag.

A.

Don't worry AJ, I was just using the recycling comment to make a point really. My better half works in a doctors' surgery and most of our mags (including BMFA) actually wind up there eventuallyyes.............the recyclers get 'em in the end though!

Edited By Cuban8 on 17/07/2015 11:51:51