Cheap Ski's For Foamie Wot4

Hi guys, being bored this afternoon I decided to knock up a cheap set of ski's for the foamie Wot4.

After reading a few threads on the subject I thought id give it a go.

The objective was to make the ski's with materials I'd got to hand without spending anything and to have them ready for a blast up the field tomorrow.

For speed I decided to make the ski's out of plastic instead of wood to save on varnishing/painting etc.

Step 1. Cut of a piece of UPVC downpipe to a length of 280mm long

UPVC downpipe

Step 2. Cut ski's so they have side returns approx 10mm in height

Skis

Step 3. Remove side walls 50mm from the front.

Remove sidewall

Step 4. Mark front radius and cut to line

Front radius

Step 5. Cut to line

Finished radius

Step 6. Bend toe radius with aid of heat gun.

Toe

Step 7. Mark out angles pieces (210mm LG X 8mm Leg)

Angle

Step 8. Cut to line making a left hand & right hand part.

Angle

Step 9. Drill axle hole 3mm dia 70mm from the front and 20mm up from base.

Finish angle

Step 10. Glue angle piece to ski base so the axle hole is approx 100mm from the tip of the toe. Make sure you make a left hand and right hand ski as shown!!

Finished Skis

Step 11. Trial fit to Wot4

Test fit

Just got the spring return to fit to the ski's and then a test flight tomorrow all being well smiley

Johnny

Edited By Johnny Kirkham on 26/01/2013 22:26:52

Advert

Did you get to try them out Johnboy ? Got up this morning and all traces of snow have gone around here !. Did the finished job have any affect on C of G ? and did the extra weight affect performance to any great degree ? .

Answers on a post card to " WHERE HAS MY SNOW GONE" @ rubbish weather .com..crying 2 Dont throw away those wheels yet , summer is coming and its on a saturday this year, should be a good day. ...lol

Riverlandgirl thanks for your comments. We did have plenty of snow here in the Midlands untill I opened the curtains this morning....heavy rain has washed 90% of it away!!

David Im going to put a light spring from the front edge of the UC leg to the front of the ski and a cable tether from the back edge of the UC leg to the back of the ski this will hold the ski at a flying/landing angle and then allow a little rotation movement for take off. This probably doesn't matter on the foamie Wot4 because it takes off in 3 foot but thought id test the idear so this method can be adapted for larger IC models. Photos to follow smiley

Les Ive rough checked the C of G (finger tips under wings) and its slightly more nose heavy but not that much to be worrying. I weighed them and they are 130 grams for the pair, a little more than I hoped for for the foamie considering the wheels only weigh in at 20 grams a pair.

Weight

I'll give it a go as they are and see what happens, if they do need to be lightened I can always trim the sides down a bit and drill lightening holes in the angle sides.

Photos to follow smiley

Johnny

Edited By Johnny Kirkham on 27/01/2013 12:38:17