Fibreglass fuselage repairs

AlbertBallVC

I have aquired a Skymaster biplane with a fibreglass fuselage that is in need of some repair work. The balsa wood fin post is coming unstuck from one side of the fibreglass fin; what would be the best method & glue type for re-sticking this. Also the gelcoat has been damaged in one or two places and has been ground back to solid material; there are a few extra small diameter drilled holes that need filling in, what would be the best type of filler to use on this. I intend to have the fuselage resprayed on completion.

Advert

Epoxy will bond cured polyester to anything, polyester resin and such fillers (e.g. P45) will not bond onto cured epoxy glassfibre.

So if you can work out (try smelling some drilled bits) or find out what glue was used in the lamination this would help.

Unless you know I'd use epoxy to reglue the wood to GRP and use microballoons/epoxy as a filler. Obviously you will want to use a mask when sanding cured epoxy and microballoons...

• 2 weeks later...