OS Glow plugs Type RE?

Tentpeg

Somebody was having a clear out recently and threw some OS Glow Plugs Type RE in my diection. The information on the pack says that these are specifically for the OS Wankel engines. I have about five of them so does anyone know if they are useable in any other type of  two or four stroke engines or should I just chuck 'em away?

Regards,

Tentpeg

Advert

Hello Tentpeg, these plugs are long reach and probably a 'hot' plug to allow for the relatively long 'timing' of the Wankel engine. That is they retain the heat in the filament. They look similar to O.S. 4 stroke plugs. But I think that as they are quite expensive and not easy to come by I would put them on an internet auction site.

Doug, only one plug, the rotor sweeps round past the inlet, plug and exhaust every revolution, there are three 'chambers' between the rotor and the figure of 8 shaped casing which change shape as the rotor turns, so each chamber receives mixture, compresses it, the plug ignites it, it pushes on the rotor, then the smoke goes out of the exhaust port. For each revolution the other two chambers are going through the same process at the same time. There are a few animated drawings on the net that explain the process. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_engine

Hi Eric,

Doesn't work for Malcolm Fisher as he has no email address or contact details listed, so I guess he may see it here, if at all? If I don't hear anything in a week, I'll probably stick them on eBay with some other bits and pieces that I have. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

Tentpeg.

Doug, a rotary engine is a piston engine where the crankshaft is fixed and the cylinders rotate, for reasons of balance there has to be a number of cylinders, each with its own plug. Gnome & Rhone etc. As fitted to several WW1 fighters and 20's trainers.

The Wankel is an engine with a rotor inside it. There have been Wankel engines with more than one rotor, for cars (NSU, Mazda RX series etc), full size aeroplanes, generators, but these are stacked together end to end with a common 'crankshaft' and each rotor chamber will have its own plug.

There are other, mainly experimental, engines with various shaped rotors inside, but each will have its own ignition arrangements.

Doug, we started out discussing the plugs fitted to Wankels, which is commonly known as a rotary engine, the answer as far as I know was one per rotor.

I honestly thought that you later were then referring to Rotary engines as such, I apologise for any misunderstanding.

There have been a few other Wankels made for model aeroplanes, but in small numbers. And some drone engines for targets.

There is an interesting model engine from the USA which has been sold for several years, difficult to classify, but looks from the outside like a Wankel. (This one has two plugs!) http://www.ericksonmotors.com/technolo.htm

Tentpeg, I hope you find someone who wants your plugs.  Indeed, Ebay might be the place for them otherwise.

Richard Bond wrote (see)

There is an interesting model engine from the USA which has been sold for several years, difficult to classify, but looks from the outside like a Wankel. (This one has two plugs!) http://www.ericksonmotors.com/technolo.htm

Now THAT is intriguing.  Please may I have one to play with?  In fact, it's so interesting, I'm going to start a new thread about it.  It's not a Wankel, but crikey, it's cunning.

Incidentally I always thought that a rotary engine was a radial engine in which the crankshaft was fixed and the cylinders rotated around it...